What Loricariidae species can be purchased in Australia?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Karl K J
Location 1: South Australia
Interests: Large australian freashwater fish and catfishs

What Loricariidae species can be purchased in Australia?

Post by Karl K J »

Could some plz provide me with a list (of all or as many as possible)of Loricariidae species that can be purchased in Australia that includes scientific names.

Thanks Karl
Shaun
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Catfish...

Loricariidae in Australia.

Post by Shaun »

There are a few forums where people have tried to compile comprehensive lists of the L-nos that are in Aus...but its sort of asking how long is a piece of string. Our import regulations have created a wonderful black market where any number of species can be purchased for the right price.
The stuff that gets smuggled in is generally pretty random, but usually stuff that there is a demand for, like: L46 Hypancistrus zebra, L260 "Queen Arabesque", L14 Scobinancistrus aureatus and plenty more. The price has stayed quite high ($600++) for most, but recently a few species have been available relatively cheap ($250ish) due to local breeding success. These include L333, L134, L15 and a few others.
In other words most Lnos can be purchased if you have the money to cover the extremely high cost. But its pretty impossible to know for sure whats available and what might suddenly become available (as in the recent case of Panaque maccus L104).
If you checkout the Australian section on Plecofanatics forum, I'm pretty sure there was a "what plecos have you seen in OZ" thread.
Hope this helps :D
Shaun.
Karl K J
Location 1: South Australia
Interests: Large australian freashwater fish and catfishs

Post by Karl K J »

Thanks for that info.

Karl

Return to “Speak Easy”