S Petricola?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
The Kapenta Kid
Location 1: Brussels

S Petricola?

Post by The Kapenta Kid »

Are there any varieties of S petricola that do not have white barbels but grey/black, where the white edges on the pectorals and caudal fin are barely expressed, and whose body colour is greyish with darker grey spots rather than tan with dark spots like classic S petricola?
I bought such as 'wild caught' S. petricola several months ago when they were a couple of inches in length assuming they would grow into the normal colour configuration. However, they have grown extremely rapidly to 4-5 inches while retaining the above characteristics.
Sorry I could not post a pic in the ID forum since they are so skittish I cannot get a shot. They are currently in my Tang cichld tank.
If they are hybrids, what is the possible parenthood? Their general body shape is pretty typical S petricola
zenyfish
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Orange County, California, USA
Location 2: Orange County, California, USA

Post by zenyfish »

Sorry, but it sounds like hybrid.

I have petricolas less than a couple of inches and they have white barbels and fin edges. Petricolas are also very slow growing.
24tropheus
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: London UK
Interests: SCUBA

Post by 24tropheus »

I would like to see a reply or photos. I want to get petricola and would want to spot a hybrid and avoid it.
The articles also mention that a "dwarf" form is common because it has been bred. Are these what I see for sale and as photos in the articles? I am confused.
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

This may be of help.
24tropheus

Post by 24tropheus »

Oh thanks for that, I have a lot to learn. Anything more on petricola alone. Seen some confusing oldish articles. (dwarf (what I think I may want) vs first identified/discribed petricola. now hybrids as well?
May be I am being too snobish they are all great but would like wild type of my chouce if pos.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

24tropheus wrote:May be I am being too snobish they are all great but would like wild type of my chouce if pos.
Definitely not snobish to want non-hybrids! That's perfectly natural, as any hybrid is a man-made mix of two species, and should not be allowed for sale, really...

--
Mats
24tropheus

Post by 24tropheus »

I am now convinced that I do not have the knowledge or experience to avoid a hybrid by looking at young fish. All I can aford. Are there any deelers/hobbiests that I can try who can do this for me?
redzebra24
Location 1: chicago

Post by redzebra24 »

u sure it is not syno multi

Return to “African Catfishes”