Urgent Help for Zebra Fry

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
markyboy22
Location 1: edinburgh

Urgent Help for Zebra Fry

Post by markyboy22 »

I have a batch of 2 month old Zebra fry, and today one of the fry became bloated and died . Having watched them for the remainder of the day another two have developed the same distended abdomen. it appear to be a gas build up or something as you can clearly see the transparency of the region. The only thing that has changed recently is the feeding of zucchini tyo the adult fish, although only there excrement could pass through the partition between them and not the actual zucchini itself. Can anyone give me some advice as I dont want to loose them all.
I also checked the water and this seems normal.
Cheers Marc :(
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I would do a 30% water change if it was me. Remove any uneaten food, and increase oxygenation of the water to help them deal with whatever is stressing their system. If you haven't added any new fish to the tank lately that were potentially diseased, a water change will dilute whatever pollutants might be causing the problem. It certainly can't hurt.

Barbie
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Hi Marc,

Sorry to hear about that, they were looking fine too. :cry:

Anyway, I would be suspicous of the courgette introducing something to the water. I have heard various stories of supermarket bought produce having this effect (pesticides etc etc etc) but not really given it much attention as I feed my (adult) fish this sort of thing all the time. That said, it might be more prone to affecting young fish.

Are these in the main tank or one of the smaller ones? Given the smaller tanks are quite new I would also be a bit worried about feeding veggies in that size of tank. You can wipe out a smaller tank real quick with feeding veggies that are not eaten quickly. In this case I would do lots of large water changes from your larger tank and refill that will fresh water.

Jools

PS How are my fish doing?
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

Have you feed them Cyclops or bloodworms?

Janne
Stu
Location 1: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post by Stu »

Hi Marc,

When feeding my adult zerbas zucchini I have had similar problems with the fry. I have since taken zucchini of the menu and everything seems fine. It's a shame because the adults really love it.

Cheers.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”