Fat, fighting plecs...could someone help ID?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
texasgirl005
Location 1: South Texas
Interests: Fish!

Fat, fighting plecs...could someone help ID?

Post by texasgirl005 »

Hi, I was directed over here from oscarfish.com because I had a question about these two plecs in my MIL's tank.
I'm trying to get rid of them and would like to know if they are both commons. I don't know what all the "L345" and everything means that y'all use to identify, sorry.
These are about 8"-9" each and are beginning to fight in their too-small tank.
I'm pretty sure the first one is a common plec, but the second one was spotted and striped so I wanted to get the "for sure" from someone that really knew.
Thanks so much!
Lindsey

Common:

Common???
Love It
texasgirl005

Post by texasgirl005 »

Anyone? :P
Love It
zenyfish
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Orange County, California, USA
Location 2: Orange County, California, USA

Post by zenyfish »

It's a bit hard to tell from the pics, but looks common to me. The "striped" part is typical stress coloration.
texasgirl005

Post by texasgirl005 »

Thank you zenyfish. It probably was stressed as I was hassling them a little to get them into a decent place to take a picture. Thanks!
Love It
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Yeap Hypostomus species for sure... but what species....quite hard to tell!!

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

TXgirl: I'd say it's something similar (or identical) to . There are several different species that are VERY similar unless you start looking REALLY closely (like shape of bones inside the fish, or measuring eye-diameter in comparison to head-length, or something like that - just to give some examples of things that the scientists do to tell whether one fish is the same as another or not).

They were imported in quantity many years ago, but nowadays, the "Common pleco" is almost always a , which are farm-raised in Southeast Asia or Florida.

A good algae-eater, and given sufficient greens, they are long-lived. They also don't grow quite as big as the "new" common.

--
Mats

Return to “What is my catfish?”