MY 40 &55G TANKS

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
MIKE

MY 40 &55G TANKS

Post by MIKE »

right now i have a 55g and a 40g.in my 55gi have a spotted gar(baby)2 oscars(baby) and a catfish i have no clue what kind when i get a pic ill post.in my 40g i have a african clawed frog,red tail catfish(baby),1 bicher eel(baby),1tiretrack eel(baby) and 3snails. i only see my frog,bicher eel & my red tail catfish.i know my tanks are kinda crowded but im planing on geting a 200g tank :D should i putthe spotted gar and the red tail catfish in the 200g tank alone when i get it.and what kind hidding places for my eel and catfish should i get.wood,plastic or stone.
Last edited by MIKE on 31 May 2006, 20:50, edited 2 times in total.
kdawg
Location 1: worth IL USA

Post by kdawg »

sounds like you got some nice fish i dont know a lot but i can tell you that your red tail cat is going to get huge and i know from experiance your oscars are going to get big. i had an oscar that a fellow pratically gave to me then i found out why he did it. i put two med. size bala sharks in with him (they were like 4 inches) and he ate them. :shock: then he tore up all my plants and kept eating the lettece i put in the tank for my pleco. he stayed for about one week before i traded him in for 5 bucks in store credit. i was happy to get it :D
The man that walks with God always reaches his destination
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Sorry to be a bit of a pain, but a Red-tailed Catfish (at leas if it's the Southamerican version, which is quite likely), it has the potential to grow to 5 feet/150cm. A 200g tank is far from sufficient for this this, you're looking at soemthing in the order of a few thousand gallon (one rough estimate is to go for a tank that is 4L x 2L x 1.5L (L x W x H), where L is the length of the fish. If you use the 5 feet for this calculation, you get a "tank" that is 20 x 10 x 7.5 feet, which would be 11175 gallon... Give or take a bit...

These fish ARE NOT suitable for any home aquarium - only if you are REALLY RICH and can afford setting up an "indoor swimming pool" that is of decent dimensions, you could possibly entertain ideas of such a fish.

If you act now, whilst it's still small, you may be able to take it back to the shop and get rid of it that. Once it reaches 2 feet or so (and becomes completely unsuitable for any standard aquarium, 200g or otherwise), it's much harder to find it a good home, as most public aquaria, zoos, etc usually have a fair number of rescued large catfish already...

For the other fish, I guess a 200g tank would be suitable...

As to advice on gars, eels and others, I can't really tell, as I have no good knowledge of these fish (this is after all Planet Catfish!). There may be others that could

Return to “Tank Talk”