petricola eggs

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
hazard
Location 1: Wi
Interests: fish

petricola eggs

Post by hazard »

Okay so the petros finally spawned. Actually they have been spawning for the last 5 days. I have pulled probably 500+ eggs and I think I got one to survive. They fungus up so quickly.

Last night when I went to bed at a 11pm there were no eggs in the bowl with marbles. This morning at 4:45am there are eggs but they are already starting to fungus. I don't even have a chance to save these. How would you guys try to prevent this????

I created a contraption like Barbie has for the fry so I am good there. I am not using the method of sucking the eggs from the bowl yet.

thanks
chris
The plecos are calling!!!
drpleco
My images: 2
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Wausau, WI

Post by drpleco »

are you adding any sort of anti-fungal chemicals such as methlyene blue or pimafix? I would try the latter and see what happens. As far as anything else related to spawning synos...I have no idea. :)
hazard
Location 1: Wi
Interests: fish

Post by hazard »

I would rather not add any chemicals to the breeder group tank. I can try it in the containers though. I have used methuyl blue with little success in the past.

Someone else suggested that the males weren't mature enough. I do have some hatching. These petros are around 3yrs old now.

Another question: How soon should I feed the fry. It seems I get some hatching but they die within a day.

Thanks
Chris
The plecos are calling!!!
DJRansome
Location 1: NJ

Post by DJRansome »

Newbie here, but I read an article about breeding Syno Petricola in the December 2005 issue of Freshwater & Marine Aquarium written by Joseph Graffagnino. It says the eggs/fry need darkness for the first two months of life...completely blackout container and view the fry using a flashlight shining through a red filter.

Have no personal experience (would like to some day), and I have not read this anywhere else, but since no one responded, I thought I would toss it out.
caught1
Location 1: IN

Post by caught1 »

It is tuff get hatches to stay alive ,try adding several air stones to hatching container.I feed after 4 days or so but will need to be mico food of some kind.The container you put them in must be extra clean also add a small pleco works for me.

Return to “African Catfishes”