Peckoltia sp ID

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Neithan
Location 1: Finland

Peckoltia sp ID

Post by Neithan »

I've been browsing through various sites and forums and haven't been able to pinpoint an L-number for the Peckoltias I bought a few days ago. They were labeled Peckoltia sp., origin Colombia and are very small, roughly 4-5 cm (~2"). Their colour also paled somewhat when they got to the sand. I guess most plecos do that though.. :lol:

#2 & #3

If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated :D
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I'm pretty sure Peckoltia isn't the genus, and I'd say they are . Although I'm not sure about it, because they are VERY nicely coloured, and in my experience the P. maccus is often not quite so distinctly coloured.

--
Mats
bedwetter
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Missoula
Location 2: Montana

Post by bedwetter »

Fish #1 and 3 definitely look like P. maccus to me as well. Fish #2 seems a bit different. It may be an atypical specimen of P. maccus or something different.

Jeff
Neithan
Location 1: Finland

Post by Neithan »

Panaque? Possibly labeled wrong at the place I bought them then, although they have a very good reputation, especially with plecos. I did notice the fish had variable patterns, also some were lighter in colour than others.

Once they've settled in I'll try to get some better pictures. For now I've only seen some fleeting images of a tail disappearing among the driftwoods..

Thank you both for the input! :D
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

There are two spp here. P. maccus and LDA 68. They always come in mixed together from Villavicencio and Bogota exporters do not distinguish between the two fish.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “What is my catfish?”