Golden Nugget : Bar. Sp. 018, Bar. Sp. 081, and Bar. Sp. 177

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Enantiopus_Melanogenys
Location 1: San Antonio, Texas
Interests: Tanganyika, Malawi, Victoria Cichlids, Madagasca, Catfish

Golden Nugget : Bar. Sp. 018, Bar. Sp. 081, and Bar. Sp. 177

Post by Enantiopus_Melanogenys »

Hello! Everyone :)

I really want to know these 3 species of Golden Nuggets can have any bottom tankmates such as any Corydoras or everything that stay on the bottom as them, or they have to stay by their own live no any catfishes on the bottom. Please! let me know. It will greatly appreciated because I am planning to get some, but I am not really sure about them. Oh! Any excellent tankmates that I can put them together with Golden Nuggets if they live in different level of water. Please! let me know as well. Thank you very much again. I hope someone can help me out of these questions. Bye. :?:

Best Regard;
Bunthid or Max :)
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Post by T »

I have mine with corys and theres never been any problems.
bigoll
Location 1: London, UK

Nuggets

Post by bigoll »

My golden nugget shares the tank bed with a fantail plec, 2 hillstream mountain loaches, 2 clown loaches and a random catfish (to be identified via the identification forum stream!). Other tankmates are danios, tetras and a platy.

No problems to report yet, although be sure to have plenty of caves to accommodate everyone who wants one, otherwise it can get a bit aggressive.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Bigoll:
Although I guess none of these fish will kill another one, the fish you're keeping together aren't really suitable to keep together.

The Gold nugger doesn't belong in a cool-water setup that is suitable for Hillstream Loaches.

Gold nuggest like high temps (28'C+), whilst you'd be better of below 22'C for the Hillstream loaches... :-(

To the Original question:
Gold nuggets (at least L177) are perfectly fine with other plecos, as long as there's enough room for the other plecos. Corydoras and similar, as well as are kept in my tank, together with my . I also have three , two and some (One adult, three juvies and about six baby "houdini's" that escaped from a breeding net).

--
Mats
bigoll
Location 1: London, UK

Post by bigoll »

Mats- thanks for the feedback. My tank is at a constant 27-28 degrees and the hillstream loaches seem perfectly happy (and have been for some months), so maybe I just got lucky! Gold nugget also seems comfortable in his surroundings.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”