Catfight

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Altifrons
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Gothenburg

Catfight

Post by Altifrons »

racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Nice fish!

Looks like one of them is the real Pseudacanthicus leopardus, while the other is the commoner L114.
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Fabulous video and very beautiful fish (cichlids included). I clearly see where your username here on PC comes from.

I would disagree with Racoll, they both look like L-114 to me. These fish can be highly variable in the amount of red in the fins.

Unfortunately, based on the high contrast patterns they also look like they might be two males. Females tend to have a much more muted pattern of black spots. That's just a guess based on what I can make out from the video.
According to spawning reports, courtship behavior in these fish is similarly violent. I was watching the video hopeing that's what I was seeing.

Nice fish though.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
funkyj1313
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Reno, NV

Post by funkyj1313 »

Heres another vid. I don't think they're fighting though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhsD-0B_-cs
Altifrons

Post by Altifrons »

These catfishs have been ID by Janne as P.leopardus and L114 .
P.leopardus is very aggressiv,already killed one L114 and one big L273 :(

My username on the Swedish catfishsite is "Pleco" but that nickname wasnt availebal on PC :roll:
Kana3
Location 1: Melbourne, Australia
Interests: Almost anything within my field of vision.

Post by Kana3 »

Altifrons: Some very lovely looking Catfish!

Hey Funky, that's a great clip you have there! :wink:

I'd be very interested if the Gurus of PC could enlighten on that behaviour (Funky's clip). It seems to me, that young Bristlenose wouldn't be ready to stake out territory, or mates.

Could it be similar behaviour to young Cats, that 'play fight', in order to build skills they'd use later in life?
pictus_man_77
Location 1: bromsgrove, Worcester Birmingham, U.K.

Post by pictus_man_77 »

Altifrons, what tank size is that? how big are those two? they look beautiful!!!!
HOW DID THAT PLANT STAY ROOTED :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
smithrc
My images: 5
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Milton Keynes - UK

Post by smithrc »

Kana3 wrote:enlighten on that behaviour (Funky's clip). It seems to me, that young Bristlenose wouldn't be ready to stake out territory, or mates.
Could it be similar behaviour to young Cats, that 'play fight', in order to build skills they'd use later in life?
Kanna
We are currently breeding starlight bristlenoses and one difference we have noticed compared to commons is the aggression they show when being fed.

The older fry (about 2 months) are not much bigger than 20mm (they grow slower than commons too) and they fight over food. Once one finds a pellet â?? its â??hisâ??. They let smaller fry eat but is another similar sized fry tries they fight (just like the L114â??s in the first clip â?? only on a lot smaller scale :D).

If there is not food in there they continue to graze on algae, side by sideâ?¦

Altifrons
What sized tank are they in? I'm still trying to convince the wife that 2 of these would be a great addition to the 100gal in the kitchen :)
Our Plecs...
L014 - L024 - L046 - L075 - L088 - L106 - L114 - L142 - L183 - L400 - LDA25 - GSD
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Great videos from both of you.

I've seen "common" bristlenose fight like that too. They may not seek each other out, but if you have some semi-adult ones get too close to each other, they certainly can fight for a bit, and they can sometimes go on for a bit too.

Altifrons: Very nice Geophagus! And small constructive criticism on the video-side: If you set the video-camera to manual focusing, you don't get the "camera decides to focus elsewhere" problem that you have a couple of times in that clip. Yes, I know, it's another thing to remember to do when you see the fish behaving funny/weird/amazing, and you may just have forgotten... ;-)

--
Mats
Altifrons

Post by Altifrons »

pictus_man_77 wrote:Altifrons, what tank size is that? how big are those two? they look beautiful!!!!
HOW DID THAT PLANT STAY ROOTED :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The tank is 720 liters ,2 meters long and the plant is "Microsorum pteropus" which growth on a little stone .
Altifrons

Post by Altifrons »

smithrc
Big Pseudacanthicus are very aggressiv and 100g is maybe enough for a pair but is too small for 2 maels .

MatsP
It was a digital fotokamera without manual focusing :wink:
smithrc
My images: 5
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Milton Keynes - UK

Post by smithrc »

Altifrons wrote:smithrc
Big Pseudacanthicus are very aggressiv and 100g is maybe enough for a pair but is too small for 2 maels .

MatsP
It was a digital fotokamera without manual focusing :wink:
thanks... the 2 i'm looking at are about 8" each... I'm not sure but I think they may be a pair...

I'll take a closer look - but may pass them then :(
Our Plecs...
L014 - L024 - L046 - L075 - L088 - L106 - L114 - L142 - L183 - L400 - LDA25 - GSD

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”