L 66 King Tiger Plec

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
DAVE W
Location 1: UK SOUTH KIRKBY

L 66 King Tiger Plec

Post by DAVE W »

Hi, hello to all,
I am new to planet catfish getting back into fish after long illness.
I have purchased two L66's one today and one three days ago the latter fish, I have not seen eat and I am concerned I have put in bloodworm, cucumber, bogwood, sinking pellets for bottem feeders,algae wafers,daphnia live.The fish cost me £35 each and I do not want to loose the fish its health comes FIRST any Ideas. Temp 79.2 good flow of water plenty of oxygen.
At a loss please help

Yours in anticipation

Dave W
:(
Jon
I've donated: $5.00!
My images: 22
Spotted: 16
Location 1: San Diego, CA

Post by Jon »

The absolute best thing you can do now is to leave your fish alone. Walk away from the tank. Keep feeding the foods you've been feeding, perhaps pre-moistening the food with a minute amount of tank water and minced garlic. Administer the food right before lights out, and leave them be. If the fish is still able to feed, now is when it will do it. If not, then no amount of coddling or target feeding will get the fish to begin, and, if anything, will only stress the fish further into a fasting-induced death.
Last edited by Jon on 08 Mar 2006, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
mmcm1997
Location 1: Glen Burnie. Md
Location 2: Glen Burnie. Md
Interests: WBTS, Prospecting,Medal detecting. Pleco's

Post by mmcm1997 »

I agree with Jon. Most of my Plecos don't eat right away when I get them. Some times the ones that do and act half starved are the ones I worry about. :roll:
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Very warm water (85F+) and heavy oxygenation are essential for destressing new acquisitions. They will settle in faster and eat more readily in these conditions.

Stick with the bloodworms for now(frozen, don't even bother with freeze dried) or minced clam meat in very small portions as it spoils very quickly. You can diversify the diet after they start feeding.

After a couple weeks and once they are feeding you can cool them back down to 80F.

I know of at least two wholesale dealers that use this as a stock handling procedure for all new imports.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Ian M
Location 1: Scotland

Post by Ian M »

I had problems getting mine to eat. I still have never seen one of them eat since I put it in, but since it's belly is full and it has been in the tank for 2 and a half months it must be eating something. Mine appear to like bloodworms and other meaty foods. I feed in the same are every night just before lights out. I have just bought another 2 L66 today. I am trying to establish a breeding group. Pictures to follow.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I'd also add that chopped mussel or cockle is a good starter food and that I strongly agree with Paul on the temperature thing but it only works if you've also got the water current and DO right).

Jools

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”