Flower pots

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
albino catfish
Location 1: Houston, Texas
Interests: Catfish

Flower pots

Post by albino catfish »

There was a post awhile back but I can't find it, I was wondering what type of flower pot would you use for hinding spot's. Clay pot's Have some stuff in it, but will it hurt
they fish ???
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

the best and cheapest are baked clay (terracotta).

these can be bought almost everywhere, and it's easy to saw them in halves or to drill and scrape holes in them.

THE trick is to soak the pots, and ocassionally dip them in the waterbucket while working on them.
if you keep them soaked, they will not burst or shatter! :shock:

I made quite a few nice breeding caves and hidey holes out of those; just check a few posts on breeding Phyllonemus typus and breeding Synodontis petricola Burundi; both in the African section.

ofcourse, and pot sawed in halves and laid flat on the sand, makes an excellent Pleco- or L-number breeding cave as well :wink:
Valar Morghulis
albino catfish
Location 1: Houston, Texas
Interests: Catfish

Post by albino catfish »

Thank's for they help, just was worrying about the pot's having some type of chemical that may kill or sick'in the fish. thank's
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

If they are made of raw terracotta then they should be fine, even glazed pots should not pose any problems. The only thing to avoid would be if they have been painted after being fired, which I think would be unlikely.

Return to “Tank Talk”