New hypancistrus

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
oscar300
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: north east england

New hypancistrus

Post by oscar300 »

Hi guys :hi:

Got these two today, any help with ID is appreciated! The dealer had no ID but did know how to charge unfortunatly :wallbash: They were in a tank one there own, in the two neighbor tanks there were l66 and l333. These were in the middle with the LFS owner adamant they wernt 66 or 333 but he didnt have any other idea's, thats why I have come to see the experts :wink:
Plec1

plec2

hmm somthing witty....
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Any idea under what name they came in!
Could be L399 look similar to me!!!

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
oscar300

Post by oscar300 »

Hi yannfulliquet,

They didnt have any discription, the LFS put down Zebras but only to draw attention to them. The store I use is very good, they go through loads of L numbers every week but these two through them a curve ball. I thought maybe L400 but I will have a look at the L399. I think I picked out a pair, there were 3 but I could only afford the 2 :cry:
hmm somthing witty....
jellyfish
Location 1: USA

Post by jellyfish »

Hi Oscar
Check out L287. Looks really similar. Beautiful fish - nice find!
Jeri
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Here is some pictures of L399
there of L400

and finally
this is L287!

Look more similar to L399 to me so far...

Another Hypancistrus coming from the Rio Curuá, Pará, Brasil, known as "yellow zebra" or "Alenquer" has the L-code of L401, but I don't know how they look like yet!!

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Walter
My cats species list: 38 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vienna, Austria
Location 2: Vienna, Austria

Post by Walter »

Hi,
there is no L 287 to buy at fish stores.
It´s a phantom - only one specimen imported, maybe wrong origin.
The fish sold as L 287 are the Hypancistrus sp. "Belo Monte" and they have got the numbers L 399 and L 400.
See Datz 11 + 12/05 and http://l-welse.com/forum/articles.php?a ... t&catid=53
jellyfish
Location 1: USA

Post by jellyfish »

Thanks Walter - didn't know that! Yann - thanks for the links...when you can compare them side by side like that I have to agree that it sure looks like L399! Watcha think Oscar?
oscar300

Post by oscar300 »

Thanks for the great input guys, you were all highly recomended over at http://www.plecofanatics.com

As for my fish....I have had posts from cattleya and the general opinion was L399. That web page is a bit mixed up for me to tell the L400 from the L399, but from the shots taken above the fish pics, I would say L399. Now my fish have setteld there colour has gone amazingly white and black, such a nice fish :D

While I have all your attention :oops: Anybody know the physical differences between L066 and L333, and also the L400 and L399 Variants? Im a bit new to Hypancistrus and would love to know if there is a simple :shock: rule of thumb to guide me in the general direction :wink:

Edit: Did this to help me compare the two fish, Might wana put it on your desk top to see it in full, I thoght it would help me sex them, see the difference in the nose?

hmm somthing witty....
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

These fish are/was exported as L-333 but if they really are them I dont know, but they dont have the same blueish hints in their dorsal fin and they are more yellow then L399 and L400 that are more grey/white with black pattern.
Maybe it can be the one Yann mention L401 but I have not seen them either but I dont agree that yours are L399.

Janne
oscar300

Post by oscar300 »

Thanks for the post janne, must get some more pictures. I will try but as we all know its not easy :?
but they dont have the same blueish hints in their dorsal fin and they are more yellow then L399 and L400 that are more grey/white with black pattern
Did you mean the L333 has blueish hints or the 399/400?
hmm somthing witty....
oscar300

Post by oscar300 »

Just found this pic claiming to be L401

http://www.diskusportal.de/portal/forum ... geben.html
Last edited by oscar300 on 25 Jan 2006, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
hmm somthing witty....
Walter
My cats species list: 38 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vienna, Austria
Location 2: Vienna, Austria

Post by Walter »

Hi,
but this picture of L 401 is not similar to the original picture of L 401 in Datz.
And the source, Diskusportal, Oli, ... you know the discussions about ... (I dont continue - dont want to be another one to be sued...)
oscar300

Post by oscar300 »

Ahh, I see where your going with that, thanks for the heads up....
hmm somthing witty....
powerfulpumpkins
Location 1: Derby UK
Location 2: Derby UK
Interests: Fishkeeping, Natural World, Travel

Post by powerfulpumpkins »

Oscar300 what sort of price were the plecos you got? They are lovely and look really quite like a fish I purchased Sunday. What are they feeding on?

PP :D
For those who are into fishkeeping and who live around Derby UK why not join Derby and District Aquarists - you can search for us on Facebook
oscar300

Post by oscar300 »

powerfulpumpkins wrote:Oscar300 what sort of price were the pl*cos you got? They are lovely and look really quite like a fish I purchased Sunday. What are they feeding on?

They were 30pound a piece, I havent seen them feeding yet but did see some nice round bellys this morning so :)
There was muscle, courgett and blood worm went in last night, as soon as I find out what they like I will calm the feeding down!
hmm somthing witty....
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

L399 and L400 have the blueish transparent colour in their dorsal and some species even in their tail fin.
I have all of these species even this one you have asked about here and what I can tell for sure is that yours are not the same as either L399 or L400.

Janne
oscar300

Post by oscar300 »

Thanks for clearing that up janne, so you think L333?
hmm somthing witty....
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

I can say like this, my species has grown a little since I got them and they look more and more as L333 but I cant tell for sure that they really are this...there are several species in the group of L333 and I have not seen the new L401 yet. Let them grow a little more and see how they develope but treat them as their own species and dont mix them with others.

Janne
oscar300

Post by oscar300 »

Thanks, just so you know, in real life the white on these fish is amazing, kinda why I got them, Im happy for now though. In time the colours may morf, we will have to wait and see :)
hmm somthing witty....
powerfulpumpkins

Oscar300 I am cringing as I type this but I paid just 14 Pounds for my pleco, having said that yours look happier than mine-it was in with another bunch of plecos. Its about time I got a bargain. I think mine ate some courgette last night although it is hard to tell as there are 3 golden bristlenoses in the tank as well. I wouldnt mind another one of these if I see any around.

For those who are into fishkeeping and who live around Derby UK why not join Derby and District Aquarists - you can search for us on Facebook
oscar300

Post by oscar300 »

And just to confuse things a little more look at the fish listed at the top of the page....

http://www.exoticfinds.net/angels_altum.html

Its the closest match I have found, They could be brother and sister!

Im going to e-mail this company for some info..
hmm somthing witty....
oscar300

Post by oscar300 »

And what about this link..

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/lo ... 1625_F.PHP

Im struggling to understand the reasoning behind these fish not being L287. Why is the L287 tag being discredited, I have read a few things that state L278 is in fact L399/L400? Does this mean that L399/L400 is in fact the same fish as well? The L287 pics are the closest match I have found to my fish, so this is the last step realy. If I find out what to look for I can get them breeding :)
hmm somthing witty....
Cattleya

Post by Cattleya »

Hi
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:41 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
there is no L 287 to buy at fish stores.
It´s a phantom - only one specimen imported, maybe wrong origin.
The fish sold as L 287 are the Hypancistrus sp. "Belo Monte" and they have got the numbers L 399 and L 400.
See Datz 11 + 12/05 and http://l-welse.com/forum/articles.php?a ... t&catid=53

yes ! :!: :!: :!:

lg Udo
excuse my bad bad English

The Homepage for Pleco breeder ==>http://www.catfishbase.com/portal/
oscar300

Post by oscar300 »

Does planet catfish need amending then? How do you know that this fish is a 'phantom'? This fish is on importers lists and is being supplied as such. What proves it to be a phantom?
hmm somthing witty....
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

Compare your fishes with these pic's of L333.

And I think L287 is the same as either L399 or L400 but when they states that L287 only was one speciemen imported and they was unsecure about the origin they give the H. sp Belo monte a new L-nb instead...but that is only what I think.

So this should be L399 and L400.

Janne
Cattleya

Post by Cattleya »

Hi
What proves it to be a phantom?
because its only one fish with this L-Number L287 ! And nobody knows from wear.
and if nobody know sure from where, nobody can't call them L287

From Datz:
http://www.datz.de/LEIZ2DHAnAXQo7Yp7F1o ... 285600C912
in Datz 12/ 2000 vorgestellten L 287 identisch seien. Die Vorstellung von L 287 war aber sehr unglücklich: â??Das hier abgebildete Exemplar wurde vor einigen Jahren von Berthold als einzelner Beifang in einer Sendung von L 74, die laut Aussage des Exporteurs sicher aus dem Rio do Pará in Nordost-Brasilien stammte, nach Deutschland eingeführt.â?? Im Datz-Sonderheft â??L-Nummernâ?? hieÃ? es dann etwas abgeändert: â??Mitimport von Fischen aus dem Rio do Pará. Fast identisch aussehende Fische sind aus Xingu-Zuflüssen bekannt, weshalb das vielleicht der richtige Fundort ist.â?? Ob L 399 und/oder L 400 tatsächlich mit L 287 identisch ist/sind, lässt sich heute nicht mehr nachvollziehen. Warten wir also einfach ab, ob nicht eines Tages doch noch L 287 im Rio do Pará gefangen werden.
I cannot translate into English sorry 8)

so each L287 on stok-lists, webpages or in Tank's are something else, but not true L287.

I hope you understand wat I mean, sorry for my english :oops:

lg Udo
excuse my bad bad English

The Homepage for Pleco breeder ==>http://www.catfishbase.com/portal/
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Translt.: (...)in DATZ 12/2000 introduced L287 to be identical (Note: i guess with the new belo monte things). The introduction of 287 was a bit unfortunate: "The specimen shown here was imported by Berthold to Germany a few years ago as a single bycatch in a shipment of L74, which came from the Rio do Para in N-E Brazil as was told by the exporter." In DATZ special edition "L-Numbers" this was changed to: "Additional import with fishes from Rio do Para" Almost identical looking fish are known from Xingu tributaries, which might be the true origin." It can not be proved that L399 and/or L400 are/were identical with L287 (Note: WelsAtlas 2 writes that the specimen is dead I think). So we will have to wait if one day a L287 gets caught in the Rio do Para.
cheers
Christian
oscar300

Post by oscar300 »

Ahh I see now :thumbsup:

Thankyou all for your translations and pictures, your responce has been amazing, I cant thankyou all enough!
As for my fish, there happy, eating well and I am totaly in love with them, great fish :D

Now this thread is here it will help others in the future I hope, again

lg Udo
Janne
PP
Caol_ila And everyone else that has posted, thankyou.
hmm somthing witty....
Ian M
Location 1: Scotland

Post by Ian M »

Well I am new around here. I have noticed that no one has asked the size of the fish. They look very like my small L66 which are 1.5 to 2 inch long. Just another thought.

Ian
powerfulpumpkins

Well I am glad your happy Oscar300 because this thread has become as clear as mud to me. Whats the outcome? what are your fish? I think the post which confused me the most was the post from Jane with all the pics attached. The pics labeled L333 certainly didnt look like the L333's I saw for sale yesterday at a UK LFS although the fish in the store look like other L333's I have seen for sale in the UK in the past.
Its all rather confusing.

PP :)

Return to “What is my catfish?”