Ancistrus hoplogenys white rim

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
traveye2
Location 1: Minnesota

Ancistrus hoplogenys white rim

Post by traveye2 »

I will be getting in 10 wild Ancistrus hoplogenys white rims tomorrow and I was wondering what would be the best way to acclimate them. The setup I was planning to put them in is a 58gal oceanic that has a handful of guppies and has been running for about 6months but would it be better to acclimate the Ancistrus in a bare bottom tank. My water is pretty much liquid rock but the tanks are filtered with peat and quite a bit of wood to bring down the hardness. I accidently left my water test kit(s) outdoors and they froze so I don't have the exact water chemistries. This will be the first time I have ordered wild so any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

So, are these coming directly from the exporter in South America, or have they been held for some time in a wholesaler's?

I would get a test-kit and see what the water condition that the fish is in at the moment. If it's similar to yours, you could just stick them in the tank [with the usual procedure of portioning some tank-water into the fish-bag to slowly fill the bag up with your tank-water].

I would also get a container of soft water, just in case they are currently in really soft water - you can buy RO/Distilled water in the supermarkets in the US. I don't know what the brand/name of it is, but I think you can find that out if you search this forum. Of course, your LFS will probably also be able to supply RO water for you.

If your fish arrives in really soft water, you would be best advised to set up a separate tank (temporary container like a bucket with air-stone and heater would be fine) and placing them in there. You can either slowly drip feed water from your tank to the temp-housing, or you can let them live there in the soft water, and doing water changes with harder water. After some time, the water in the temp housing would be close enough that you can move them to the "real" tank. Obviously, if you keep them in there for a longish period of time, you'll need a mature filter too...

As to bare bottom or otherwise, I don't see why that would make a difference - if you were to set up a special tank for these fish to quarantine in, I would have said to make it bare-bottom. But since you already have a tank that you can use, I don't see a reason to clean out the gravel. Only if these fish are dying from some strange decease would you need to sterilize/dispose of the gravel.

These are my personal opinions, and others may have other ideas. Listen to them too, and make your own decisions... ;-)

--
Mats
sharko
Location 1: Norway

Post by sharko »

Are we talking about
Visit my home page and sign my guestbook:)
Jonno
Location 1: Devon,UK

Post by Jonno »

i would love to see some pics when you get them in :D

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”