help! whiptail laid eggs!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
squid
Location 1: Philippines.
Interests: Tropical fish, internet, swimming, sleeping...

help! whiptail laid eggs!

Post by squid »

help!
my whiptail laid eggs on top of my powerhead.
right now. there are 2 of them near the eggs, they are in the tank with abvout 10 brostlenose. will they take care of the eggs? what should i do?
Kana3
Location 1: Melbourne, Australia
Interests: Almost anything within my field of vision.

Post by Kana3 »

Well I know bugger-all about Whip-Tails, except they look pretty neat. And it's probaly all over and done with now anyway.

Maybe ensure your pump intake is adequately screened. Otherwise, if all you have in the tank is Whip-Tails and Bristles, I'd be inclined to do nothing.

There's a big difference between fish that MAY accidently vacuum up fry, and those that will relentlessly hunt them down!

How did you go anyway? Good news?
squid

Post by squid »

thanks!
i turned off the other powerhead.
willl try to cover the intake of the other one with sponge to prevent the fries from being sucked in.
the eggs are turning dark... hope they hatch soon =)
bought a 15 gallon tank, was planning to remove the eggs. but i'll try to leave them in the tank :) hope some make it.
flash
Location 1: yorkshire
Interests: fish

help whiptail laid eggs

Post by flash »

Hi
i have several whiptails and they breed every few weeks
the fry are a bugger to raise but this is the way that works best for me as the eggs go dark (at about 6 days)i remove them and put them an a small tank of 12x12x12 with a bare bottom and a large plant .i use a large amazon sword.
with an airsone and sponge filter.whiptails come from fast flowing rivers so spend all their time stuck to the bottom waiting for the food to be swept downriver to them
so the smaller the tank the easier the food gets to them and the more survive
i feed courgette peas sweetcorn and fine high protine granuels
i change 50% of the water every 2 days with tap water treated with declorinator .some stay on the plant and some on the bottom i leave most of the crap on the bottom as it seems to give them somthing to graze on this way i can raise about 70 to 80% whare in a spotlessly cleen tank i only got about 25% hope this helps

good luck Flash
squid

Post by squid »

thanks!!
think they are nearly hatched now. the eggs are really dark,..
Mortimer
Location 1: Oslo, Norway

Post by Mortimer »

I have raised a lot of Rhineloricaria Parva fry, and I have found two things that works: Feed BBS and change water. The first week I feed BBS two times a day, and change 20-25 % of the water two times a day.
Good Luck!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”