Feeding my pl*cos

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Icthician
Location 1: Maryland, USA

Feeding my pl*cos

Post by Icthician »

While reading posts and articles here about feeding, I decided to try an experiment with different the types of foods. I have lasiancistrus sp. from Peru, LDA01, bristlenose from Venezuela, (thanks Shane), L204, L129, L201 and an assortment of other single species from Peru.

Normally I feed them blackworms, frozen bloodworms, pellets, flake and algae discs. On occasion, I get daphnia magna.

I decided to see who would eat what by attaching pieces of canned clams, salad shrimp, plantain and the usual cucumber to a 1" x 3" piece of slate.

Suprisingly, all the fish who I have been administering cucumber to, partially becuase it's convienent, went straight for the clam and shrimp. The lasiancistrus initially went for the cucumber and plantain, but were soon fighting over the shrimp and clam.

I also dropped in some trout fry feed in the tank with the 201's. They ignored the slate and were content with the trout feed.

All in all, the clam was preferred and the plantain wasn't as readily accepted, except for the lasiancistrus and the L129, who ate everything.

So, now I will go down the list of suggested foods and offer my fish different items at each feeding. Thanks Planet Catfish for the valuable information that makes up this site.

Francine
Pike and Pleco lover

Fish are good...
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Francine,
It has been my experience that many loricariids will readily go after foods that are not really the best staple diet for them in captivity.
Suprisingly, all the fish who I have been administering cucumber to, partially becuase it's convienent, went straight for the clam and shrimp.
I call this the "McDonalds Effect" because plecos, like people, go after foods that taste good faster than they go after foods that are good for them. Many algae-eating and wood-eating loricariids will readily go after high protein foods when available, even to the point of ignoring their "correct" food items. In the wild, an algae or wood eating pleco must get lucky once in a while and come across an easy source of protein. Since animal proteins have about twice the caloric content of veggies, I am sure nature has programmed them to take advantage of these situations. This only becomes a problem in captivity where the rare protein treat is available too often. Algae and wood-eating loricariids kept on a high protein diet for very long will often constipate and bloat. This is not always easy to cure.
This is one reason that I recommend keeping algae and wood-eating loricariids seperate from loricariids that need a high protein diet. Ancistrus will quickly consume the bloodworms meant for their Hypancistrus tankmates and soon will ignore all veggies and even algae growing in the tank once they get accustomed to frequent animal-based proteins. I include the so-called "algae wafers" in the high proten category since the main ingredient in most brands is fish meal.
Have fun experimenting with different types of foods.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Icthician
Location 1: Maryland, USA

Post by Icthician »

Shane wrote:Francine,
It has been my experience that many loricariids will readily go after foods that are not really the best staple diet for them in captivity.
This only becomes a problem in captivity where the rare protein treat is available too often. Algae and wood-eating loricariids kept on a high protein diet for very long will often constipate and bloat. This is not always easy to cure.

This is one reason that I recommend keeping algae and wood-eating loricariids seperate from loricariids that need a high protein diet. Ancistrus will quickly consume the bloodworms meant for their Hypancistrus tankmates and soon will ignore all veggies and even algae growing in the tank once they get accustomed to frequent animal-based proteins. I include the so-called "algae wafers" in the high proten category since the main ingredient in most brands is fish meal.
Have fun experimenting with different types of foods.
-Shane

Would providing protein once a month in this fashion be detrimental to their survival?

I have tried other sorts of veggies like collard greens and squash, but they consume it at a much slower rate and I usually have to remove the mess they make the next morning.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Would providing protein once a month in this fashion be detrimental to their survival?
I do not think so. Some protein once a week is probably just fine. They will pass it through their systems easily if their staple diet is heavy in fiber (i.e. vegetables and wood). Proteins twice a week, for up to 4-6 weeks, are also fine if you are conditioning for breeding.
-Shane[/code]
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”