Male or female L046?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Rene Rovers
Location 1: Utrecht, Netherlands

Male or female L046?

Post by Rene Rovers »

Hello,

Can someone tell me if this Zebra is male or female?

[/img]
Neo
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:11, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:41)
Location 1: Near Stirling in Scotland
Location 2: Stirling, Scotland
Interests: cars, martial arts, fish, guitar etc

Post by Neo »

Pretty hard to tell with those pics but from this pic Image i see no whiskers etc so i would say female, why not join us as http://www.zebrapleco.com also?
Lots of L046 Zebra Pleco's, L129, L199, Some cory's, some shrimps, cardinals, glass cats etc
http://zebrapleco.net
Jorge
Location 1: Madrid (España)

Post by Jorge »

To my eyes is a female L046
laurab5
Location 1: kANSAS

Post by laurab5 »

From what i have heard, males have more contrast in black to white, there black stripes are more dominant than there white ones. I would say male
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Laura what you have heard would be wrong. Color is not a valid indicator of the sex with zebras. Please stick to only giving advice on subjects you yourself have personal experience with. I know we've discussed this....

Barbie
laurab5
Location 1: kANSAS

Post by laurab5 »

Sorry Barbie, but i read that in shanesworld. It says that the black in males may be more noticable than the white, it's color contrast
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Yeah, I know, and it is an indicator, when the fish are in condition and in comparing them to other fish in the group, IF they are mature. It is not always a tell, as the colored or white L260 stomachs does not always hold 100%, but in general is a good rule of thumb. The pictures in this thread make it very difficult to determine the exact curvature of the pectoral fins and aren't clear enough to really judge by the odontodal growth, IMO. I'm not comfortable just guessing when I can't see the things I use to determine the differences clearly. I just don't want Rene to get rid of a fish that could potentially be a female because it's coloration is darker.

Barbie
jerms5
Location 1: LOS ANGELES

Post by jerms5 »

What size is the zebra? Looks small in a few of the photos and that alone can change the minds of many depending on its size!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”