Breeding Synodontis angelicus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Breeding Synodontis angelicus

Post by Silurus »

Someone in an earlier thread was asking about breeding <i>S. angelicus</i>. While rearranging my reprint library, I came across an old aquarium magazine article on breeding this fish.
Email or pm me if anyone is interested in a copy.
SynoPetri
Location 1: Bairisch Kölldorf, Austria
Interests: athletics

Post by SynoPetri »

Please mail it to me, I'm very interested!
Georg
ggdhazel
Location 1: Ft. Wayne, IN
Interests: Aquariums, Gardening, herps

Post by ggdhazel »

Yes, I have that article too. Its in the October 1993 issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist ( The one with the picture of an Aulonocara Jacobfeirbergi "Eureka" on cover. In Lee Finley's "Catfish Corner" he gives some background on various Synos and then describes how a Canadian by the name of Jim Robinson reported spawning the angelicus but no fry were produced. He did observe reproductive behavior and and egg laying. The water parameters were varied at each spawning(regards to pH and Hardness). He also observed a supposed Male (that was darker in color and thinner) chasing the female and nipping at her flanks and head area. Sometimes the female chased the male. Unfortunately the eggs were quickly eaten by other synos and cichlids and when given their own spawing tank they stopped with no spawning since. He fed heavily with beefheart, brine shrimp, and bloodworms. This was all taken from an article by Lee Finley.

I currently have about 11 Synodontis Angelicus( and one atterimus sold as an angelicus) in a 300 gal rubbermaid tub. Half of them are in the 6-7 inch range with the others about 3-4. I've watched em go at it now and then. Two of the larger ones will face off and one will actually go almost white. I assume its just two males or (females) showing whose top dog of the school. Other than that there are no aggresive attacks other than a srape mark every now and then. One day maybe I can get them to spawn :wink: . Oh and there is another article in a recent FAMA magazine on Synodontis angelicus but it gives no reference to any spawning; just a guy explaining his attempts to get to spawn without luck.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

No, the article I have is the original one by Jim Robinson, which appeared in FAMA.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

The person that wrote that recent FAMA article was Darkangel, a poster here on the board.

Its strange that you mention the drastic color change you noticed in your angelicus when they were upset. I lost two of my angelicus when I moved the last time (they jumped against the glass in their new big tank harder than I'd realized they could :() and now just have two that are 5-6 inches. A few weeks ago, one turned very light and was QUITE violently chasing and tangling with the other one. They are currently in a 75 gallon tank with lots of plants and decor and plenty of big pots and caves and shells for them to shelter in. It almost looked like a territorial dispute, but neither of them was actually hurting or marking the other, even with all of the thrashing around. I did actually consider breaking them up a couple of times though. It was quite violent, even by my usual african cichlid keeping standards.

I didn't notice the fish showing any real interest in them though, or a feeding reaction. I did take some pictures though. I'll check them out this evening and see if there is any clues there I might have missed. To be honest, possible spawning never even occurred to me. I just assumed that one had developed an attitude problem that would bear watching. They've never done it again.

Barbie
ggdhazel
Location 1: Ft. Wayne, IN
Interests: Aquariums, Gardening, herps

Post by ggdhazel »

Yeah I thinks it the one by Darkangel that I read in FAMA. I havent read the FAMA Article by Jim Robinson, must be an older one. Personally Im not to fond of FAMA. I like Aquarium fish Magazine and TFH better.

But yeah my angelicus will turn almost ghost white when facing off then resumes normal coloration and goes back to its favorite log.

I know they use hormones now to get fry from some synos now, How on earth do they go about doin that?
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

I would'nt belive all you read in Aquarium Fish Magazine. Full Stop!

Graeme.

Return to “African Catfishes”