Snowball's driftwood tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Snowball's driftwood tank

Post by snowball »

Here's a few pics of my tank and its inhabitants. It's 4' x 2' x 18" high (320l) and will hopefully be replaced with a 4' x 2' x 30" in the not too distant future :)

Lighting is a single 125W metal halide; filtration is done by a trickle filter with an Eheim 1250 plus a 2215 double cannister. Plenty of current! Water changes are 60l per week of water aerated for a week. ph is around 6.8 and temp 26C

As you can see there is plenty of driftwood, with a large central piece that spans the width of the tank, underneath which are a number of hollow logs. This gives them lots of room to freely move around the substrate while still feeling secure from the cover above. Fish that were shy and retreating in other tanks seem to get a new lease on life in here and readily spend time in the strong current that flows along the front pane of the glass.

Plants consist of self-propagating dwarf tropical lillies that takes the edge of the metal halide quite nicely and are tough enough to survive the catfish digging around their roots, plus a lot of java fern & moss that likewise avoid uprooting.

The fish list is quite extensive and varied, although the majority are of course catfish of some description - these are listed below. Tankmates include a couple of loaches, red eye & pink tail tetras, those red striped flying fox-like rasboras whose name escapes me, plus a very friendly butterfly fish who delights in lurking beneath the lillies and taking flies & roaches from my hand :)

Ancistrus sp. x 4 (common bristlenose)
Brochis splendens x 5 (3 tank bred, 2 wild caught)
Corydoras adolfoi x 6
C. concolor x 2
C. guapore x 3
C. panda x 2
C. robineae x 4
C. trilineatus x 2
Dianema urostriatum x 1
Farlowella acus x 1
Hemiloricaria sp. x 2
Hypancistrus inspector x 3
Kryptopterus minor x 4
Otocinclus vittatus x 3
Panaque maccus x 1
Synodontis eupterus x 1
S. nigriventris x 1

Click on the thumbnails to enlarge.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

updated 22/09/05
Image Image
Last edited by snowball on 22 Sep 2005, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.
frogguy1
Location 1: KC,MO
Interests: FIsh,reptiles (general animals)

Post by frogguy1 »

you have a beautiful aquarium their. Keep up the good work!

Return to “Tank Talk”