Feeding a baby Merodontotus Tigrinus? need some help

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Blackwater
Location 1: Michigan

Feeding a baby Merodontotus Tigrinus? need some help

Post by Blackwater »

I just picked up a 5" (if that) Tig. The person I bought him from had been feeding feeder guppies. I don't want to do this. I offered him Krill but he turned his nose up. I would like suggestions on how to switch him to frozen foods like krill, etc. I' just got him this morning so maybe he just needs a little time? I don't want to let him go too long without food though?? Any ideas?
madf1man
Location 1: houston Tx
Interests: rc hobbies/catfish

Post by madf1man »

At this age I would not worry about anything accept making sure he,s fed.They can be delicate until they gain some size.Feed live foods for now and as the weeks go by make attempts with others but always clean out the tank the next morning if he does not take the prepared food offered.I am doing the same thing now for mine.
buzz763
Location 1: Brooklyn Center,Minnesota

Post by buzz763 »

I just bought 2 Hemisorubim platyrhynchos (spotted shovelnose) about a month ago, stick with feeder fish a couple of times a week and other foods in between. I use frozen fresh water shrimp and brine shrimp mixed with frozen blood worms. It took a little while but they are now taking frozen foods, slowly but surely. I always feed them after lights out or they don't get there share. Slow stalking hunter. Awesome to watch with the lights down low enough to see into the tank, once they home in and get close enough they explode!!
1 Platydoras costatus, 1 Agamyxis pectinifrons, 2 Pimelodus blochii, 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L081) 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L177) 2 Pangasius sutchi,8 Corydoras leopardus,4 Corydoras metae, 4 Corydoras pulcher,12 Corydoras habrosus,6 corydoras sp.cf.aeneus,4 Ancistrus sp(3),4 Parotocinclus jumbo

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”