Khuli Loach - hundres of eggs

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
sodapopdima
Location 1: Brooklyn, NY

Khuli Loach - hundres of eggs

Post by sodapopdima »

OK here goes... my Khuli loach, looked like she was having a seizure whilst upside down when I found her in my tank today... I thought she was dying

As I observed, I noticed a huge spurt of tiny white balls come out near where the rear end is, and I knew right wawy it was eggs. She has been laying eggs now for 2 days stright at random times throughout the night an dday. She is one of two females I have and is very fat, and of course getting a little thinner as she lays them.

I turend off my filter becaus eit kept sucking in my eggs, but how long can my tank go without a filter, I read mixed reports that the eggs need to be green and hatch in a week and some reports say they hatch in 3 days.

The eggs she is squirtting out are white, some clear, anmd some clear white with a goooey thing in them, and a few have a taint of green to them. Are theses fertile ro what???

I have a 20gallon tank, with only 3 khuli loaches because funny this happened as I am in the process of moving out and giving away all my fish for adoption, all I have left are these 3 little guys. I think I will need to do 30% water changes every 3 days to keep the tank clean without a filter and I can't clean the bottom, I have 1 piece of driftwood and 1 rock, and thats all, no plants left.

Eggs are like in the hundreds I think, maybe will be close to a 1000 by the time she is done. And they are scattered all over the place.

I also read they eat the unfertilized eggs and leave teh good ones, how do I knwo they won't eat them all, I am clueless what to do here. Also, how does a fish tell the difference???

Any suggestions... please please please

Thanks a million in adavnce
worton[pl]
My images: 2
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Lublin, Poland
Location 2: Warsaw, Poland
Interests: catfishes, motorcycles

Post by worton[pl] »

Hiya,

you can also ask <a href="http://aquaweb.pair.com/forums/loach/">here</a>. There is more ppl with experience in loach keeping :).

Regards.
Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Steppenwolf, Born to Be Wild
sodapopdima
Location 1: Brooklyn, NY

Post by sodapopdima »

Well... some bad news, the female died, and I think perhaps due to some complications. She was trying to lay eggs all day and night for 3 days. I squeezed her a little after she died and a ton of green eggs came out, I barely had to squeeze actually. I hope some of these hatch.

Also, I noticed they only look bright green when bundled up together, once seperated they look clear with cloudy stuff inside, and also some with a very slight taint of green. So I am hoping they are fertilized.

I am giving them 10days to hatch, if not by then, I will turn my filter back on. Till then I will do water changes manually from the top, and feed the remianing 2 loaches I have well enough so they don't eat the eggs.

So far they dont touch them at all, its like they know and have some kind of parenting skills.

I guess with the little to none information avaulable on these species I will just have to go by instinct, try my best, and let nature do it's course.

If so much as 10 of these make it, I will be happy.

By the way, there seemd to be close to a thousand eggs.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

It's a little off-subject, but I had a Pristella sp.(Tetra) die after laying eggs for a few days in a row. Does anybody know if it's egg impaction? Or have they lived their lives through? I know the Pristellas I have now are at least 3 years old and they were fully grown when I purchased them. It's so difficult for me to know how old a fish is when I get it from a LFS. Unless I can see it's truly a juvenile. :? I've read that some Tetra species are short-lived in the wild, but longer lived in aquaria. What about loaches? Does the same apply to Catfish? Are their lifespans the same in the wild as in captivity?

Return to “Speak Easy”