Can you tell me what pleco this is?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
onyx21
Location 1: Houston, Texas

Can you tell me what pleco this is?

Post by onyx21 »

Oscar
Location 1: Madrid, Spain
Location 2: Madrid
Interests: catfish, photography

Post by Oscar »

Probably Hypancistrus sp. (L260)

Regards. :)
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

I doubt they are L260... I have seen these sometimes labelled as new QA or even as L333 "Orange" Hypancistrus sp...

Under what name did you buy them??

some might say they are L318, but I have my doubt...

cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
laurab5
Location 1: kANSAS

Post by laurab5 »

No, that's a QA. My breeding female looks just like that. That is a really nice one.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Laura,

I think Yann's point is that the coloration as well as the lines aren't quite the same as on L260.

It may of course be that YOURS aren't "real" L260 either.

This is a common problem when identifying fish, particularly those that aren't scientifically described. There aren't any firm and proper descriptions for those fish, so there's not an immediately easy way to say that "Fish A is specie X, and fish B is NOT specie X, because the A has <something> that is not present on B".

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for both shop owners, wholesalers/importers and expoters to "misname" fish. Sometimes this is done with intent, and sometimes purely by mistake.

Without adequate descriptions, we have to use more primitive measures to identify one fish from another, combined with such things as capture location, behaviour, etc.

I'm not saying you're wrong, Yann knows a lot about (cat)fish, but certainly not always right. But you may want to consider that if your fish's lines are more orange than white, they are possibly not L260. Whether they are L318 or some other specie is the next question...

Finally, there is always the possibility that similar fish from different locations are going to be combined into one specie, but with different colorations. If/when this happens, I think we should make sure that breeding is only done with species from the same origin, so we don't get mixed colorations.

--
Mats
onyx21
Location 1: Houston, Texas

Post by onyx21 »

Thanks for the help everyone. :D
gemsonthebottom
Location 1: Midwest U.S.A.

Post by gemsonthebottom »

I belive that it is a l-260. Datz " The recently discovered population from Santarem has broader,brighty yellow bars."
6 L005 Angelicus, 4 L007 Vampires, 4 L015, 4 L028 Angelicus, 1 L147, 1 L200 lemon spot, 9 LDA08 Gold Marble Bristlenose, 12 LDA25 Pitbulls, 5 Dwarf Albino Bristlenose, 5 Brown Longfin Bristlenose, 5 Longfin Paleatus Corys, 12 Sterbai Corys, 6 Black Aeneus Corys
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Why post with out a answer?

L260 it is!

Return to “What is my catfish?”