L133 question

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MDoub
Location 1: Indianapolis

L133 question

Post by MDoub »

I looked at the cat-elog entry for this fish, and it said that it is tolerant of varied water parameters. Can anyone be more specific? I'm thinking that I'd like to have one of these in my Tanganyikan community tank, and possibly in a frontosa tank as well (both tanks- ph 8.2, gh 13, kh 11). It appears that they have similar diets, largely carnivorous, but I wouldn't want to put one of these in a tank with incompatible water. Also, will they grow large enough to keep from being food for frontosas?

Thank you!!
MDoub

Post by MDoub »

bump?
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

Maybe there are very few with experience of this species and thats why you not get any answers, I have seen lots of loricariidae's but never L133 so I cant help you either.

Janne
j4782
Location 1: Chicago

Post by j4782 »

try a forum search for L333. that may get you more of the info you need.
MDoub

Post by MDoub »

I did a search for L133 - it didn't turn much up, is it the same as L333? I'll try that too and see if they're similar. Thanks for the replys, but I hope someone has some experience with these guys...
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

L133 is not very similar to L333 , so that won't get you much.

However, L14, is a much more popular fish withiin the same genera, so it should be possible to find some reasonable information on that (I searched for breeding info on L14 and found a few dozen posts, and there's at least one post on L14 in Shane's world, but I don't remember if it's talking anything about water parameters).

There's obviously nothing saying that L133 wants the same water parameters as L14, because water parameters have much more to do with the environment the fish comes from.

Generally speaking, Loricaridae are fairly tolerant to varying water parameters, as long as the change from natural soft waters to hard tank waters isn't done too suddenly. That doesn't mean, of course, that all loricaridae follows this principle, and for breeding purpose, there's far more species that require soft water to successfully breed.

Hard/alkalic water is certainly not the IDEAL for this fish, as it's natural inhabitat would have very soft and somewhat acidic qualities. But I think it would live quite well in the proposed tank.

--
Mats
MDoub

Post by MDoub »

MatsP-

Thanks for the help! I'll start there.
j4782
Location 1: Chicago

Post by j4782 »

ooops, sorry. typo! :P

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”