S. multipunctatus flashing, but cichlids not????

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
MDoub
Location 1: Indianapolis

S. multipunctatus flashing, but cichlids not????

Post by MDoub »

In my 90g (up and running ammonia and nitrite free for ~8 months), when I do my weekly water changes, the multipunctatus cats start doing some of the craziest flashing I have ever seen. Nothing happens to the cichlids. I have also noticed that the synos are much more playful recently (since spring hit), a group of five of them "playing" almost non-stop. I just attributed it to springtime and the urge to procreate (unfortunately no hosts for multi eggs in this tank). These are the only real changes I notice in the whole system. Everyone is eating, none are visibly sick, cyprochromis still spawning regularly, non-syno cats behave normally. Anyone out there have any clue what might be going on?

Water parameters are normal: Am 0, NI 0, NA ~10.

My only guess at this point is that as the fish are growing bioload is increasing and there is more fluctuation than there used to be at each water change. However, I would expect this to affect everyone in the tank, not just the catfish. Perhaps because they are scaleless...?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

Could very well be spawning behavior. Multis do not _need_ cichlid hosts to spawn. They will happily resort to egg-scattering if they feel they need to spawn. Check around rocks and furniture for eggs. However, it could also just be flashing and nothing more :-)

Rusty
MDoub
Location 1: Indianapolis

Post by MDoub »

Then I'm sure the playing is spawning behavior, but I don't need ot worry too much about the flashing? Thanks Rusty!

Return to “African Catfishes”