Ultra violet sterilizers for breeding tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
xinguinsis
Location 1: AUSTRALIA

Ultra violet sterilizers for breeding tank

Post by xinguinsis »

Hi all,
Having problems in a breedig tank with fry dying(before egg sac adsorbtion) I want to try a ultra violet on it I know different bugs need different wattages and residense times to die its a 400 litre tank.Any body suggest appropriate wattage and flow rate?
Regards Chris
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Odds are good it's not a bacterial issue at that stage, as the fry aren't ingesting much food wise, nor taking any damage, IME. As long as you're doing enough maintenance to keep their water parameters healthy, you might check if the temperature is too warm for them to develop or too cold, or even the dissolved oxygen level first. Fry are pretty hardy unless you aren't providing something they need developmentally, IME, and most of them don't "need" a UV.

There are quite a few arguments that fish raised in a sterile system are then nearly impossible to keep healthy when moved into other tanks, as their immune system can't handle the inundation of bacteria and what not, also.

Barbie
xinguinsis
Location 1: AUSTRALIA

uv

Post by xinguinsis »

Water parameters are appropriate for species.Temp is usually 28c and 25 c after water change.D O is 6 to 6.2 ppm possibly alot less in the cave as the male doesn't appear to fan much although circulation around cave entrance is fair.
Appreciate what your saying about not working their imune system as I found when I use to dam breed goldfish after a few years of isolation from shop populations I couldn't sell my fish to shops as they appeared to have a impaired imune system although they arrived at the shops in what appeared to be great condition.Possibly I can try running the U.V for the relatively short time while the eggs fry develop.No idea what the problem is just trying to illimenate potential problems to see what works.
Regards Chris

Return to “Tank Talk”