Queen Arabesque compatibiltiy

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
laurab5
Location 1: kANSAS

Queen Arabesque compatibiltiy

Post by laurab5 »

I have a 20L with 2 pairs of QA's in it. My ph is 7.0 and was wondering if I could put 2 Blue rams in with them and they would still breed. If I couldn't, could you give me some different suggestions.
Griparn
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Sweden

Post by Griparn »

20 liter is way too small...
laurab5

Post by laurab5 »

20 gallon long is 75 liters
Griparn
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Sweden

Post by Griparn »

Sorry, didn't understand that.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

The tank would be fine, but I would suggest leaving out the rams if you are serious about breeding as they will not care for the same amount of current/water movement the loricariids will want.
On a different note, we probably need a sticky somewhere around here with the different tank sizes and units of measurement. Planetcatfish is an international community and we have a lot of confusion over weights and measurements.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Almost like a mini "Pocket Ref." Can't live without that foolish thing!
laurab5

Post by laurab5 »

I have had my QA's for 3 days now. What do you guys feed yours? I have fed mine green beans once and shrimp and spirluna pellets. They haven't eaten yet, though. The place were I got them said they fed them green beans and they ate them. Do I just need to leave them alone for a few days?
sojapat
My images: 17
My catfish: 461
Spotted: 287
Location 1: Ugly Wigan, Lancs
Location 2: Wigan
Interests: Drink,Fish ,micro organisms,

L 260

Post by sojapat »

They eat sponges in the wild , you cannot replicate this so you will have to feed .....bloodworm ,daphnia ,tablet food .
Lay off the greeens they dont really eat this .They are mainly carnivorous ...
I know you will be eager to see them feed but take your time .. They never saw a catfish pellet in the wild..
The biggest mistake people make with new imports is they pile food in to make sure they get some ...
Thus overfeeding the tank .
Hypancistrus are quite robust..
It will take them a few weeks to know what you are feeding to them....
They wont starve .. :wink:
Keep your powder dry
laurab5

Post by laurab5 »

On my first post, I said my PH was 7.0, I pressed the wrong key. It is really 7.8. In Shane's world it said they were bred in 7.5 TO 8.0. So is a PH of 7.8 fine.
laurab5

Post by laurab5 »

:D Can I also feed them Hikari's freeze-dried brine shrimp or do I need to feed them frozen brine shrimp. Around here the only place that has frozen foods is on the other side of town.
pete
Location 1: North Wales UK
Interests: fish, motorbikes

Post by pete »

They will also eat courgette ours eats the courgette that we put in for the other plecs. :D
It is correct that they need a mainly carniverous diet we feed our Arabesque frozen bloodworm, brineshimp, mussel Hikari wafers ect.
Pete
gemjunkie
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Spokane WA

Post by gemjunkie »

It does take wild caughts some time to eat. Even just moved fish take a few days to 'get hugry'. Don't worry, they will not 'starve', their self preservation will kick in and they will start trying anything laying around once they get hungry enough.. Fish can go a very long time without food, several weeks!

Just don't polute the tank and take out uneaten food in a timely manner... I have seen this with other species of fish as well, especially wild caught fish. Just some time, quiet, dim lights and clean water and they come around.

Have also found for most wild caught fish, be it pleco, cichlid or wild betta, water parameters are not so important as acclimation and clean water along with correct temperatures.
gemjunkie
The Crazy Fish Chick in Spokane WA
http://gemjunkiesbettas.freeservers.com
Jon
I've donated: $5.00!
My images: 22
Spotted: 16
Location 1: San Diego, CA

Post by Jon »

They eat sponges in the wild? This I did not know of.
laurab5

Post by laurab5 »

I found a guy around me that I think breeds zebra plecos. I am going to see if He will take my 4 L260's for 3 zebra's. Should I go for it?
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

The price for zebras is running over $100 on average now, while L260 are usually $20 or so. If he thinks that's a fair trade, you probably can't go wrong doing it.

Barbie
laurab5

Post by laurab5 »

I have a question. In my 20 long I have 5 pvc pipes and 2 pieces of driftwood with rocks by each piece. My dominant male seems to be the only one who is near the caves. My other 3, a male and 2 females, seem to stay in the rocks and driftwood. The bigger female seems to spend half her time by the rocks and the other half in a pipe. All five pipes are right by each other. Is this common to see the dominant male be the only one always in the pipes?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”