Setting up a Pleco breeder, my style

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4438.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: Setting up a Pleco breeder, my style

Post by TwoTankAmin »

@MarcW

I use RO/DI water. I work at about a 50/50 mix with it and my tap. I would suggest that you might want to start with closer to that sort of mix before getting more drastic (80/20).

I also use a continuous three-way digital monitor on the tank. because I need to premix/pre=treat changing water, I have a Rubbermaid near the tank in which the new water is set up. This lets me move the probes from the tank to the Rubbemaid so I can be sure of the mix in it.

I do this not only for convenience, but as much because during the week between water changes the tank parameters change in an uneven fashion. I set up the new water parameters based on those in the tank at the time. I am always shooting to drop the pH back to about 6.0 or a tad less and to lower the TDS back down into the 50 ppm range. Sometime I need to use a bit more RO/DI and to add a bit of acid to hit the target parameters needed to return the tank to where I want it.

One more FYI. Despite what most of us have read to the contrary I have discovered that soft/acid water fish can withstand sharp drops in pH and TDS without issues. I have added muriatic acid directly to a tank and dropped its pH by 1 full point in under 5 minutes and the fish never reacted. I first saw this done when I was purchasing some of my Altums. Had I not seen it with my own eyes I would have continued to believe this was a very bad thing to do. This appears to work fine when the fish are from very acid, soft water habitats. However, I firmly believe that trying to do the reverse will not have similar results. It will likely result in serious issues even death.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
MarcW
I've donated: $160.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Post by MarcW »

Thanks for the information.

I currently use 80% RO to 20% tap, this gives me a pH of around 6.5 to 7 and a tds of 90, although the tanks rarely get below a tds of 120ppm.

My tap water is very hard which is why I mentioned that I may try to increase the percentage of RO in that mix. I'm also thinking about collecting rain water as well, once the fish room is finished.

I will likely get myself one of those monitors soon, I have been looking at them for a while.
pan
My cats species list: 19 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:4)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Athens
Location 2: Greece

Post by pan »

Really helpfull conversation guys. Excuse me for interrupting.

Thanks for sharing Jobro! Could you tell me which powerhead is used for the filter right now?
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

pan wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 08:18 Really helpfull conversation guys. Excuse me for interrupting.

Thanks for sharing Jobro! Could you tell me which powerhead is used for the filter right now?
I am using two jetlifters. One on the right side, one on the left side. Like these: http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtratio ... fter-shop/

I build them myself, though.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
pan

Post by pan »

Thanks Jobro.
Nice!
The current you get from this system, is enough for your purpose?
I haven't seen this type in action, and i don't know its capacity/flow rate.
MarcW
I've donated: $160.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Post by MarcW »

Hi pan, I use those jet lifters from Swiss Tropicals, if you have a powerful air pump, they will push out a lot of water. Although if you are using a matten filter or sponge filter for biological filtration you don't want the flow through them to be too fast.

The way I have my matten filters setup there is still plenty of flow, I only have them setup on small 10G tanks at the moment though. If a lot of flow is your objective I would suggest getting a separate power head.

I'm sure there is a section of the website with figures, off the top of my head I believe they move 4 times water Vs the air you put in. E.g. 100lph of air will give you 400lph of water flow.

Here is the page with the numbers: http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/s ... ubelifter/
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

As Marc said, it is plenty for my purpose. If I want strong current, I go with the same setup and add a propeller pump / wavemaker like the Tunze Turbelle Nanostream. They are very power-efficient for the water-flow they create.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
pan

Post by pan »

Thanks Mark, thanks Jobro, got it.

Cheers

Return to “Tank Talk”