Stress, snails and spawning..Grrr.

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
AlaskanCorydoras
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 2: Anchorage Alaska

Re: Stress, snails and spawning..Grrr.

Post by AlaskanCorydoras »

Yoyos are what I started with. They're a fun species. In fact I rather like all loaches. They are good snail vacuums, and have good personalities (Assuming you don't get aggressive loaches. . .) Some of my most amusing fish would be the 14 striata in my newest tank.
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Post by L number Banana »

A depressing little update:
The snails are kept at a reasonable number for but probably won't be for long. I found one dead yoyo on the floor in front of the tank yesterday and another one (the pregnant one) on the floor behind it tonight :(
Didn't know they were jumpers. I looked that up tonight and it's not listed in all the descriptions but it's common knowledge on the forums :? . The tank is mostly covered now. Will need to move the last one to the covered tank. One left. That sucks. :(
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
shamrock
Location 2: northampton, uk

Post by shamrock »

sorry to hear about your loss...

what do you do get collect those snails? do you put some food in a cup to attract them?
L number Banana

Hi Shamrock,

That's kind of an old post so I'll give you the update :D
I now have three yoyo loaches that keep the 'big' tank free of snails. My showtank doesn't have a lid because I like to grow lilies and see the flowers so I can't put loaches in them, they would jump out in a heartbeat. That tank has snails again even though I was ridiculously careful when putting plants in.. :roll:
Their numbers are quite low but they still bug me. I no longer squish them because although the squished snails feed the L401 and some of the others, I think they may also feed the other snails. When their numbers grow to where they bug me, I put in a watermelon rind and turn out the light. They all seen to go there -especially the bigger ones - and then I chuck out the rind with all the snails attached.

Keep in mind that there are different kinds of snails and some types seem to be well loved by many fish keepers. The kind that I have are common pond snails, tiny with no 'door', multiply like crazy even in my algae tank where they get no outside food.
I won't use any chemical to get rid of them - bad for us and really bad for catfish (copper based) so I think someday I'll just get a few more loaches and get a lid for that tank. Maybe start a new lily tank :beardy:
I also have Kuhli loaches in that tank but they never touch the snails, they just play all day.

edit: it just dawned on me that you might be looking to get snails as opposed to get-rid-of snails, so you're probably looking for the nice kind like ramshorn snails? I couldn't tell you where to get those but your local fish shop may be able to get them for you. They're very pretty.
Anyone else? where did you get your 'nice' snails from?
shamrock
Location 2: northampton, uk

Post by shamrock »

hi

thanks for the update. i have the same problem. bought 3 assassins 6 months ago, turned up the temp to 26, suddenly i have many baby snails. should've kept the numbers to 1, no more to get rid of invading snails (w plants). they HAVE, however, kept the other snail population to a 0. not seen them since. the funniest was when a "plant snail" was actually sitting on the assassin's shell. probably the safest place to be. not keen on any more snails in the future. i've learnt my lesson.

thanks again!
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

Between the assassin snails and my cherry shrimps, I never have to clean out any dead fish bodies. Of course that means I often don't know someone is gone until weeks later...
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L number Banana

Nice avatar, Taratron!

Return to “Tank Talk”