Bought this today as Sturisoma panamense?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

I think we have to wait for the revision of the Sturisoma genus to be published before we come any further in this mess among Sturisoma and their relatives.
It may be that this revision is of little use to aquarists trying to ID live specimens, especially if the studies were carried out on old museum type material using myological or osteological characters only.
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

Racoll wrote:It may be that this revision is of little use to aquarists trying to ID live specimens, especially if the studies were carried out on old museum type material using myological or osteological characters only.
If so we maybe still will have the same problem until some ichtyologist's make the whole work from beginning...go to Colombia and caught new species so they have "fresh" material with exactly locations.

Janne
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

My breeders were wild caught fish so hopefully the breeding pair consisted two of the same species. It won't be difficult to keep their progeny from hybridizing since they will all be siblings. I have only shared 18 of these fry with Barbie, so far. The fry are still too small for anyone without experience with raising similar species to try to keep. It may help assure that we can continue raising these fish. The supply of wild fish is sporadic and they are never cheap. A pure bred line of domesticated Sturisoma would be nice to establish in the USA.
They are not very difficult to breed and are always an eye catching aquarium fish with many desirable traits.

I did not know the Sturisoma have been bred commercially for over 20 years in Europe, although it had become clear to me from the content of many posts that TR Sturisoma are common in the UK and European market.

I have just seen for MY first time, some TR Sturisoma listed for sale in the USA. I suspect these were imported from the Continent along with many Apistogramma species they sell.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

Larry wrote:They are not very difficult to breed and are always an eye catching aquarium fish with many desirable traits.
Absolutely, they are a perfect "catfish" for almost every aquarium, they are not shy and they are always visible, they breed easily even if the fry can be difficult to raise in the beginning, they love alga and keep the aquariums clean. They are also a very economic species to breed, they are productive and the fry grows very fast, they are a little expensive and breeders recive good payment when they sell the offspring. They are probably 10-15 times better to breed then common Ancistrus if the money is more important. They are commercial bred even in Israel and not only in the Czech Republic, the Israels call/called them S. panamense...in the beginning anyway :wink:

Janne

Return to “What is my catfish?”