Sturisoma ID please

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Hi Mat,
Understanding water purity and the humidity are similar concepts, I think.

One assumes that the the underlying concepts are relative to a set of conditions.

I infer that there is an understanding that aquaristically, water fit to drink may not be "pure" enough to use for breeding a given species of fish.

I understand your attention to the exact details.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

apistomaster wrote:Hi Mat,
Understanding water purity and the humidity are similar concepts, I think.

One assumes that the the underlying concepts are relative to a set of conditions.
That's not quite how I would explain it, but I see where you're coming from.

I infer that there is an understanding that aquaristically, water fit to drink may not be "pure" enough to use for breeding a given species of fish.
There are several things that make water unsuitable for fishkeeping. The main ingredients in tap-water that I consider important to remove are:
1. Hardness.
2. Nitrate.

In my personal case, the second is actualy more of an isssue than the first. Hardness has an effect on breeding certain species of fish (those from soft water regions), but many fish are more adaptable than most people seem to think when it comes to hardness. However, removing nitrate isn't easy in other ways than by RO, so in my mind, the RO water is not just soft, but also nitrate free, which is the main point for me.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”