BN pleco tank setup

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

These fish don't really care which way the current goes, as long as there is some current.

Setting up a "river tank" which is where you have the inlets on one side and the outlets on the other is more work, and doesn't actually make the fish any happier in my opinion (that is for THESE FISH, as they are quite adaptable to varying conditions - doesn't apply to ALL fish!). Better to spend that effort/money on setting up the breeding-tanks.

Also, as someone (Plecobreeder, I think) said once, corners in the tank are good for catching fish. Round tubs make the chase a lot longer... This is particularly important in a grow-out tank where you need to net many fish quite frequently...

--
Mats
redzebra24
Location 1: chicago

Post by redzebra24 »

i was thinking using a huge net lining the tub then the sponge filters and the heater, so when i want to catch something i just lift the whole net out ( does this sound like a good idea?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

The problem is that the net would then cause "dirt" to accumulate on both sides of the net, where on one side you have a filter, but not on the other. I don't think it's a good idea - but I haven't tried it. Just try to find some rectangular tubs, that'd be the best way - you don't REALLY want to get all the fish out to get a few out anyways...

Bristlenoses are also pretty good at tangling themselves into nets, and that could definitely cause a problem if there's a permanent net there...

--
Mats
redzebra24
Location 1: chicago

Post by redzebra24 »

the containers are rectalgular with corners but for 20 dollars for 50 gallons i will live with it
john
Location 1: ontario

re

Post by john »

hello all, I don't know if I'm wrong but I find everytime I change the water the plecos die. I haven't changed the water in my longfin pairs tank in around 2 months, they are healthy and pumping out around 60 fry each time. also does anyone here add salt to the tank for any reason?

thanks alot

john
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

John, I just have two words for you... Nitrate test.... Not changing water is allowing wastes to build up in your system and probably degrade your waters buffering capacity. Definitely you'll need to narrow down the problem with why you're suffering losses in your tank. If you could start a new post and fill in all the information from the sticky at the top of the forum we might be able to help you with it.

I only add salt if the fish have ich or oodinium and it's a hotly debated topic whenever it comes up. The general consensus is that it's not advisable and definitely wouldn't be needed as a regular addition.

Barbie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”