L204 length

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Zohar
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Israel

L204 length

Post by Zohar »

Hi,

When you are measuring the L204 length where do you end the fish? at the end of it tail fins? or at the middle of it tail fins?

The L204 tail fins are 4 cm out of 10-11 total.

I am asking as i been told that i will be able to sex the L204 at 11cm, but the fishes are close to 11cm total (including all tail) and i don't have a clue how to sex them.

Last, anyone know how long it could take for the L204 to reach sexual matureness from 8-9cm size?

Thanks,
Zohar
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

There's a section at the top of your screen saying "Help!". Under that, you'll find "glossary", whcih explains both "SL" (standard length) and "TL" (Total Length).

Unfortunately, if the measure doesn't specify the type of size used for a measurement, you can't really know if it's one or another of the types of measurement...

--
Mats
Zohar

Post by Zohar »

Thanks Mats. So if my L204 are 8-9cm SL, i still have a long time to wait...

Zohar
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Probably, but I haven't kept L204, so I don't know how quickly they grow.

Keeping a check on the nitrate levels and gettting lots of good food to them is the only way to get them to grow quicker, that's for sure. Make sure you keep them in a tank with plenty of wood...

--
Mats
Zohar

Post by Zohar »

Thanks, i am trying my best.

If anyone know how fast they grow i would love to here it.

Regards,
Zohar
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

L204 size

Post by apistomaster »

L204s 8cm SL should reach breeding size/age within a year.
Larry
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Zohar

Post by Zohar »

Thanks Larry,

I was hopping for less, but i will wait.
apistomaster

L-204 length

Post by apistomaster »

Hi Zohar,
I have 12 L-204's growing up to eventually form a breeding colony and they about the same size as yours so at least know that you are not alone in impatience for them to grow up. We can trade notes. If you are like me and have been inspired by their looks and the breeding account in planetcatfish about these attractive little suckers. I expect that breeding them will be a challenge but at least we know it can be done.
Larry
Zohar

Post by Zohar »

I have 5 of them, they are beautiful! And very active.

A year is a long time..., but yes let keep exchanging notes. I don't think the articles have all the information we need, so more info will help.

We are several people here in Israel that bought a group of L204 for breeding, so i am expecting also some local help.

I will keep you posted.

Regards,
Zohar
apistomaster

L204

Post by apistomaster »

In the final analysis, each aquarist has to trust there intuition and garner what you can from references helps with guiding your decicisions when trying to breed fishes that are or have been rarely bred in captivity. There are too many variables for any particular recipe that one can followed to the path of success. The frustration and impatience goe with the territory.
My solution is to work with a large enough varieties of fish ranging from fairly easy to never been done before and hope that by not focusing on anyone fish then the one you wanted to spawn often does while just careing for and trying to breed that range of easy to impossible fishes.
If I tried to breed one fish to the exclusion of all others then that species will be all the more obstinate. It like Murphy's Law only I'm sure thre's a better way to describe the phenomena.
Larry
Zohar

Post by Zohar »

you right.

I am trying also L260 & L162 and BN that breed like rabbits.

Zohar
apistomaster

L204

Post by apistomaster »

Hi Zohar,
Well now you've encouraged me. I'm trying L260 and have only recently move them out of QT to spawning set up. I almost lost them when I noticed the temp was 89F. One did not make it but I still have 11 left.
Other than BN in all it's forms I have the following:
Ancistrus claro, L066, L199, L204, L260, and L333. I have access to L046 juveniles when and if I can afford them.
I am also keeping with hopes of breeding LDA025 Pitbull, Paraotocinclus spilosoma, Sturisoma nigirorostrum and Tatia perugiae. Add Corydoras sterbai and that's my catfish "farm".
I have recently collected 3 wild angelfish species, altum, dumerlii/leopoldi and scalare. I have always kept and bred wild discus with a few tr turquois and I have 10 Heckels that are one of my ultimate breeding goals.
I finally got some Crenicicla compressiceps but they are sick and I have lost some already. I have been in the aquisition mode which is nearly complete but until it is I have to contend with new diseases which I hate because ther is so little one can really do. The one drug I found to be extremely effective is no longer sold in the USA, water soluble chloramphenicol capsules. If it's curable at all chloroamphenicol will do it without stressing the sick fish. It is so dangerous to humans that it is only used as a last resort. It is the drug of choice for bacterial meningitis.
Larry
craigfries
Location 1: San Diego, CA

Post by craigfries »

I'm also keeping a dozen L204 thanks to the great article by Janne! In February they arrived without any tail filaments (broken off?) at 7-8cm TL. The filaments have grown about 1cm per month since then. They are now about 10cm SL about 15cm TL. They are just starting to show odontodes. I use large pieces of driftwood that lean against the front of their tank. In this way, I can watch them play underneath the wood. They are amazingly active and agile. I finally have a pl*co that is FUN to watch. If they have a rival in this respect, please tell me.
fish_mad_guy
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: New Zealand - the most beautiful place on earth!
Interests: Fish

Breeding can be frustrating!!!!

Post by fish_mad_guy »

:? I've bred BNoses and Corys Gauramis and platys, molys and guppies and now are trying to breed L204s ... What are people feeding their ones cause all mine eat is wood. They don't touch the veges I put in, what typ of veges do people feed them, what type of animalprotien do peopl use to get them ready to spawn. oh the torment .
I set up a special tank for them ... River flow high... Maybe I should raise the temp... HELP!!!!
Oh to be a fish.....arhhhh What I've got is a Pair of Flash pleco L204, Bred 200+ corydoras sterbai and albino ones, Bristlenoses and of course platys and guppies for albino and other specific traits. 9 tanks ... but I'm building more...
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Hi fish_mad_guy.

Have you used all the Planet Catfish resources to answer your questions? There is a lot of info to be found on the site already.

cotm L204

Forum search

You may also want to start your own thread entitled something like "Breeding Panaque L204"

You may get a better response this way. It's not good web etiquette to hijack a thread.

I feed mine broad beans and hikari algae wafers. They can't get enough of them :P

I hope I've been some help.
:D
ikan
Location 1: Australia

Post by ikan »

On the COTM it mentioned the length 13 cm SL. What is the total length they grow to? Can the adult be kept in 3'X18"x18" tank?
They are amazingly active and agile. I finally have a pl*co that is FUN to watch. If they have a rival in this respect, please tell me.
Are they active during day time too?
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

What is the total length they grow to?
A realistic total length in the aquarium is approx 16cm including caudal filaments.

They are unlikely to achieve the same size as they do in the wild.
Can the adult be kept in 3'X18"x18" tank?
Yes, I think so. They can be scrappy, so watch out for aggression.

Are they active during day time too?
Yes, provided they are happy in their surroundings.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”