bringing fish on a plane

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
jimmyB
Location 1: Illinois, USA!!
Interests: BN ancistrus, saltwater reef, Afr. cichlids.

bringing fish on a plane

Post by jimmyB »

Has anyone put a bag of fish in your carry-on luggage? What if you go to a shop while you are on travels and see something you have to own? What happens now with the restrictions on liquids?
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

Well, having a live fish proves that the liquid is just water. (Unless the airline is really paranoid).
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Although I agree that the live fish is proof, the airlines and security ARE that paranoid and won't see it that way. I would think shipping would be the better, albeit more expensive option. It would be a shame to have to leave a fish at the airport. :wink:
Amanda
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Packed correctly (i.e. polystyrene insulated box and possibly heat-packs) it should be OK to take live fish as checked luggage. You may have to go through some extra steps in the process of checking it in [like take it to a "special" section of luggage handling, as it's fragile].

Check with the airline before you purchase the fish tho', and make sure you get the answer in writing with an emergency number you can call when you're at the "remote" airport trying to get back home.

Also bear in mind that international travel is a different story, you may well need many different types of documents to export/import fish, and the bureucracy involved may involved multi-week waits for the paperwork to clear someones desk... Using professional trans-shippers will work here, but it'll cost... No such thing as a "free-lunch", as usual.

--
Mats
Reginator
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 1: Valencia, Spain
Location 2: Valencia, Spain

Post by Reginator »

Any idea how that would work within the EU? I've often thought of going to Germany/Netherlands/UK to buy fish and bring them back to spain, but have no idea if it is possible without a tonne of paperwork....
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I would be surprised if you need any special paperwork for "tropical" fish (i.e. fish that will not normally survive in our natural environment, and not listed on the "prohibited species list" here in England for example).

But I'm not sure.

--
Mats
jimmyB

Post by jimmyB »

The problem with the paperwork is that I would buy the fish on a whim as i see them on a trip, I would not know ahead of time what i was going to buy. It would be a spur of the moment purchase decision based on what I see available. I certainly could not plan weeks in advance.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Yes, I understand that. But asking the airline to confirm that you are allowed (or not) based on your favourite one or two airlines would give you an idea of whether it's allowed or not. Then you carry the letter together with your travel document when you go traveling, and assuming you go on the same airline as you've got documents from, it should work...

Obviously doesn't work for international, but it should be OK for within the country...

--
Mats
jimmyB

Post by jimmyB »

I am thinking about exploring an angle based on my "special dietary requirements".
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

jimmyB wrote:I am thinking about exploring an angle based on my "special dietary requirements".
What, you can only eat live fish? ;-)

--
Mats
WhitePine
I've donated: $51.00!
Location 1: Washington State

Post by WhitePine »

To bring fish back in the USA, you need them inspected by a us fish and game officer. They will normally let you come through with a couple of fish. Any more than 3 or 4 fish, they will want to see an import license. Make sure to mention that they are for personal use and NEVER mention that you might breed them. They get pretty testy if you mention breeding. It was a pita to get any information... you are better off just calling your local field office or the office nearest to the major airport you come back to.

http://www.fws.gov/offices/
Cheers, Whitepine

River Tank with Rio HF 20 (1290 gph), Eheim 2236.
- Apon boivinianus, Bolbitis, Crypt balansae, Microsorum Windelov, Vallisneria americana, Crinum calamistratum, Nymphaea zenkerii, Anubias barterii.
pictus_man_77
Location 1: bromsgrove, Worcester Birmingham, U.K.

Post by pictus_man_77 »

Just make sure you dont put those M*****F***ing snakes on that M*****F***ing Plane!

I hope someone gets this joke.
Otherwise its pointless.
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

pictus_man_77 wrote: Otherwise its pointless.
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

Just make sure you dont put those M*****F***ing snakes on that M*****F***ing Plane!

I hope someone gets this joke.
Otherwise its pointless.
Yes, very Droll!! :funny:
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

The sequel: Fish on a Plane Is Samuel L. available? :idea:
Amanda
George
Location 1: Reston, Virginia
Interests: fish

Post by George »

I and friends have put fish in breather bags in checked luggage. So far no problems. I would think there would be less problems in US domestic but we were international coming into the US. If US fish and wild life is there and sees the fish maybe you would have a problem but so far the fish have been ignored.

George
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

US Domestic flights are now restricting any liquid at all in your carry on luggage. I would have to say that even I would be leery of trying to charm my way through the security check points with bags of fish right now.

Barbie
f3mg
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Lisbon - Portugal
Location 2: Lisbon, Portugal

Post by f3mg »

Allow me to pull up to this very interesting topic...

I, as many others, go often to Germany (the best shops in the EU, as far as I know) so I wonder lots of us must have thought about it.

Has anyone done it inside the EU? Carry in, or checked the question is - has someone done it?

Francisco
PS: And, as someone already noted, paperwork is out of question... I just go there 2/3 days, and I'm lucky if I end up having that 2 spare hours to sneak into the closest shop, let alone think in bureacracy...

Return to “Speak Easy”