Calaveras Lake , Texas 08/10/06.

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
MacAAA
Location 1: San Antonio, TX

Calaveras Lake , Texas 08/10/06.

Post by MacAAA »

Got run off the lake by high wind before we had a chance to net a big boy, but they were there. These two that we did get were on the small size so no real effort was made to get a good measurement.

August issue of Texas Parks and Wildlife magazine has an article about the pleco problem in a river north of San Antonio. Sounds like they are going to try to do something about it up there.

http://tpwmagazine.com/archive/2006/aug/scout1/

I did pick-up a nice sized redfish on this trip (38", 21 lb. 12 oz) before the wind picked up.

Last edited by MacAAA on 14 Aug 2006, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

neat trick to put the measure next to the pleco!
hard proof that these beasties do reach impressive sizes.

now they can put a size in the catelog on these monsters :wink:
Valar Morghulis
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

It's about 12.5" SL, about 16" TL. That's big but hardly stunningly so... Fishbase lists 42 cm (17"!) SL as maximum size for L. pardalis, and Planetcatfish 11.8" SL.
I'd say 12.5" is completely within the realm of possibility even if Planetcatfishs 11.8" SL is correct in L. pardalis' home waters.

Then there's the probability that the fish is really the very similar-but-larger species L. disjunctivus (or even L. anisitsi).
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Nice photos, Mac!! Thank you. :wink:
Amanda
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Yeah, now this IS what we wanted.

I've put the SL of up to 350mm SL (I'd say the one in the picture is about 305-315 SL), but I am looking at the two pictures above of similarly sized fish and seeing very different colouration - maybe belly coloration is important too. Let's see if bigger ones are forthcoming.

Anyone care to translate what Ingo says about L. disjunctivus in Wels Atlas Band 2? It does mention the two species.

Jools
Borbi
Expert
My articles: 4
My images: 64
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Easton, PA
Location 2: United States

Post by Borbi »

Hey Jools,

I´ll try a translation. Though I only translate what Seidel/Evers call "Specialties", since we´re not concerned about Location and Keeping advices, I believe..
Bes.: Während Jungfische sehr stark an L. Pardalis erinnern, ist zumindest bei semiadulten Exemplaren eine sichere Bestimmung einfach. Keine andere Liposarcus-Art besitzt nämlich auf der Bauchseite ein Muster aus gewundenen schwarzen Linien. Und auch die Oberkörperzeichnung ist ziemlich eindeutig. Auf dem Kopf zeigen die Tiere wie L. Pardalis ein feines Wurmlinienmuster. Dahinter folgt dann allerdings ein Muster aus dunklen vertikalen Linien, die entlang der Ränder der Knochenplatten angeordnet sind. Auf der Brust- und Bauchflossenverlaufen schwarze Linien entlang der Strahlen. Der oberste Schwanzflossenstrahl ist verlängert und schwarz und wei� geringelt.
from: I. Seidel, H.-G. Evers, Mergus WelsAtlas 2, 1. Auflage, 2005, Mergus Verlag GmbH, Melle.

Now for the (free) translation (by myself :wink: ):

Specialties: While young fish resemble L. Pardalis very much, at least with semiadult fishes a fairly certain Identification is rather easy. No other Liposarcus-species has an underside marked with wound, black lines. Also, the body coloration is fairly typical. The head is, like L. Pardalis, marked with fine, wormlike lines. But in L. Disjunctivus, this is then followed by dark, vertical lines along the margins of the bone plates. The paired fins show black lines following the fin rays. The first ray of the caudal fin is lengthened and carries black/white rings.

Hope, that helps,

Greetings, Sandor
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don´t know.
It´s what we know for sure that just ain´t so."
--Mark Twain
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

Hmmm............ Well, at least Calaveras fish #2 fits that description perfectly. So do, if I'm any judge, several (but not all, e.g. not photo #19] of the fish in the photos in the CatElog entry for L. pardalis.

Anyone have a picture of the ventral side of a 100% securely ID'd L. pardalis?
Jorge
Location 1: Madrid (España)

Post by Jorge »

Interesting pdf about introduced Liposarcus disjunctivus and Liposarcus pardalis

pdf

-Liposarcus pardalis: spotted ventral pattern, (10-13 dorsal rays, but usually 12)
-L. disjunctivus: vermiculated ventral pattern, (10-13 dorsal rays, but usually 11)
texasgirl005
Location 1: South Texas
Interests: Fish!

Post by texasgirl005 »

What did you do with them after you caught them Mac?
I live just south of SA, I'm sad to see these doing so well around here.
Love It
MacAAA

Post by MacAAA »

Jools, working on better pics and bigger pleco for ya'll.

texasgirl005, not good for bait or to eat so we let them go.
RogerMcAllen
I've donated: $35.00!
Location 1: Champaign, IL, USA

Post by RogerMcAllen »

MacAAA wrote:not good for bait or to eat so we let them go.
Actually, I have heard the opposite. It took me a while to find, but check out this thread.
MacAAA

Post by MacAAA »

OK, maybe good to eat but I'm not ready to try it just yet. :P

I stick by what I said about them being no good for bait. 8)
sidguppy
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Wish I had a pond full of these; I'd fireup the BBQ in a sec.

they're good eating and to peel grilled plecs is a bit like eating lobster, but less legs and all.

you can compare it with eating Hoplo's; another great chow, although a bit small. more a delicacy than a belly full of grub.

I still have to eat big Pims and Dorads though; next time I haul my ass off to the jungle, I'll try those.
Valar Morghulis
redzebra24
Location 1: chicago

Post by redzebra24 »

what did u use as bait? algea waffer? no really what
MatsP
My articles: 4
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

redzebra24 wrote:what did u use as bait? algea waffer? no really what
They are caught in nets when fishing for bait-fish - check out the other thread started by the same poster...

--
Mats
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Try zucchini.... :wink: There's a photo of Liposarcus pardalis in the fish markets in the Mergus Band 2. Common food fish?
Amanda

Return to “What is my catfish?”