help with my 20 gal?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Gilraen Took
Location 1: Grand Jct CO
Interests: fish, video gaming, books

help with my 20 gal?

Post by Gilraen Took »

I've had a 20 gallon tank for a while. Just a community tank. I'd changed the substrate a while back to sand, and then had to change the filter due to it failing. Well, duh, cycle again... This has been going on for weeks now. The ammonia stays high in it all the time. I'm always changing the water out. The fish are stressed, and a few(a couple of platies and my little albino cory...) have died as a result. All of them look stressed to the max, and a few have red around their gills from where they have been getting too much ammonia.

So far I've all but quit feeding them totally, I'm only giving them food once every couple/few days. And I've put some of the old wet filter media(a chunk of cut off floss) from my oscar's tank into the aquaclear that I've got on the small tank. Does anybody know of anything else I can do to make the tank cycle faster, or to ease the stress on my fish? The tank has a full load in it, and I can't afford to re-stock it if everything dies. Plus there are a few fish in there that are hard to find around here...
redzebra24
Location 1: chicago

Post by redzebra24 »

do u have any other tanks? if yes take a sponge filter put it in ur old tank and thenput eh sponge in ur new tank after 2-3 days of running, and take some water from ur old tank and put it in ur new one
Gilraen Took
Location 1: Grand Jct CO
Interests: fish, video gaming, books

Post by Gilraen Took »

It's not a new tank, just one that had a lot of stuff changed around in it. Because I had a really stupid moment and forgot to keep the old media in it until caught up... Anyways, before I left for work tonight I put some more floss from my oscar's tank into this one. I just hope it catches up soon...

Return to “Tank Talk”