What Syno am I? Or am I something else..........

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Tracey
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: New Zealand

What Syno am I? Or am I something else..........

Post by Tracey »

I've been trying to figure out what this guy is for quite a while now, and I haven't been able to find a Syno that matches :? I even wondered if maybe he was a Mystus leucophasis, but he doesn't seem to match that either...... I'm suspecting hybrid but I'd like your ideas as well. Sorry its a crappy pic, he's not very cooperative :oops:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/albu ... pic_id=681
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

It's definitely a species, but which one, I couldn't tell...

--
Mats
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

grahams
Location 1: northampton
Interests: tanganykan cats and cichlids

What Syno am I?

Post by grahams »

From the colouring of the fish i`m going for Synodontis Bastiani/Euberneensis(junior synonym).Do you have any more details about it such as size etc?
redzebra24
Location 1: chicago

Post by redzebra24 »

syno yes
Tracey

Post by Tracey »

He/she is around 10 to 11" TL, thats only a guess as this is not what you'd call a cooperative fish when it comes to getting close to it :roll: Body is one colour, no sign of any patterning, although the tail fin does show a pattern somewhat like that of an Eupterus. Anything else you'd like to know that might help?
grahams

What Syno am I?

Post by grahams »

Tracy, can I suggest you visit http://www.aquarticles.com. Look for an article headed "the Ivory Synodontis" by David Marshall.He is a well known U.K. Syno` enthusiast.This is an article about S. Bastiani and there is a reasonable photograph of it which looks to be very similar to your fish.Let us know what you think.
Tracey

Post by Tracey »

Very interesting article, Grahams, thanks for the link :) However, it mentioned a dark spot just behind the gills on the Bastiani which my fish doesn't have. The juvenile behaviour mentioned, in particular the charging out at full speed then tearing around spooking everyone, is just like him, though :lol:

I forgot to mention one other thing, he has pale/white edging on his pectoral and dorsal fin which isn't very visible in the pic I posted.
grahams

what is my syno?

Post by grahams »

You`ve certainly got me baffled with this one.I`ve been through my Aqualog African Catfish Photo Collection Album and CD-ROM but have come up with nothing more.I have also visited http://www.scotcat.com with not much more success.The only thing to come from that,and staying with the Bastiani,it does say that S. Schall and Bastiani get easily mixed up at maturity.I suggest you go to cat-e log, and also read fact sheet 113 at Scotcat.It would appear that Schall is quite aggressive and its overall size of 12"- 14" would fit in with your estimated size.I don`t know about the "black spots" though, many of the Synos`have them although it isn`t always very pronounced.Beyond those suggestions I have no more ideas,other than perhaps you were correct in saying he might be a hybrid.I hope not as he looks quite a nice fish, but I have an enormous distaste for hybrids in the hobby as you will find elsewhere on the forum.So, I will wish you good luck in determining what he is,and hope he is the genuine article, whatever that turns out to be.
Sorry not being able to help you further, but good luck.
Tracey

Post by Tracey »

Thanks for your help, Grahams, he's got me confused as well :) I did have a look at the profile for S. schall and I think its another possibility, along with the S. frontosus that Silurus suggested. I wish I knew where he'd come from, but I brought him almost full-grown, he'd been handed in to the lfs for bad behaviour :lol: so I don't know which importer he came from. I'm also not a fan of hybrids, so I do hope that he isn't one, but if he is, so be it. I won't be breeding him as I've never seen another Syno here even vaguely like him.

I really do appreciate your help and if I ever do find out what he might be, I'll let you know.

Return to “What is my catfish?”