Online Pleco stores in midwest?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
thecichlidpleco
Location 1: Toledo

Online Pleco stores in midwest?

Post by thecichlidpleco »

Does anyone know sites that are in the midwest that have a wide variety of L-numbers?
LDA19
Location 1: IN

Post by LDA19 »

Good luck ! If you do let me know.
Sherrie
"I have yet to meet a catfish that I did not like".
12 Sterbai corys,7 longfin Paleatus
corys,2 L007,2 L-028,6 L-75,5 L-144,2 L-200,5 LDA-25,4 LDA-33,2 LDA-72
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Rant coming up...

I thought the whole point of Online shops was that location didn't matter. You're either buying something online and getting it shipped to you - shouldn't really matter where that is [same continent tends to help on keeping the cost of shipping and flying time reasonable - but it's not like the South American wild-caughts in Europe come from a different South America than those for sale in North America, so I guess they can be shipped from continents quite far apart with the correct planning and packing].

Now if you want to VISIT the shop before making purchases, that's a different story, but then that's not an On-line shop...

(Rant isn't particularly aimed towards the two people involved in this thread - rather I see it quite frequently - someone wants to find a Online-shop near to them... The whole point of Online-shops is that they can be anywhere - as long as they are willing to ship to you and you don't mind paying for shipping - which you'll have to do one way or another, except with a local shop, you end up sharing the cost over a larger shipment for other customers, assuming you're not the ONLY customer of the shop... ;-) )

Sorry for the Rant.

--
Mats
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

MatsP,
For those of us in the States, your rant isn't particularly valid...

Most online sellers ship one of several main ways. Airport to Airport, DHL, FEDEX or USPS Priority (or overnight).

Airport to Airport is by far the BEST way, even across country. However given the recent restrictions on shipping, and the extensive certification needed to be allowed to ship this way, most smaller vendors or hobbiests that ship fish (myself included) no longer ship this way.

With DHL, FEDEX or USPS overnight shipping for any of these services is VERY expensive.

USPS Priority is a very common shipping method is very affordable. Depending on distance transit times can be anything from "next day" (although not guaranteed) to "next week".

If I lived in the Pacific Northwest, I wouldn't order fish from the Midwest (or vice versa). It would take a week or more to get to me priority OR it would cost an arm and a leg for overnight. As I live in the Midwest, I order fish from the Midwest. His post is valid.

People outside of the U.S. occasionally forget just how damn big this country really is!

As for suggestions:
http://www.Frybabies.com
http://www.alloddballaquatics.com (not so many L-numbers, but I've got to give Eric a plug when I can!)
The Fish Place (lotsoffish username on Aquabid)
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

pturley wrote:Airport to Airport is by far the BEST way, even across country, however given the recent restrictions on shipping, and the extensive certification needed to be allowed to ship this way, most smaller vendors or hobbiests that ship fish (myself included) no longer ship this way.
I wasn't aware of this.

I am fully aware of the size of the states - see below - but I thought that the big shipping companies (Fedex, DHL, etc) would happily take fish and ship them across from one side of the continent to another.

A good way to experience the size of a country or continent is to try to travel across it on land - I have traveled from Chicago via Washington state to Santa-Cruz in California. Also Chicago to Chareleston, SC, as well as Minneapolis via various places in/around South Dakota to Yellowstone and back again through Montana/North Dakota. Also been from Austin TX to Dallas, Chorpus Christi, Houston and San Antonio. A Greyhounds bus from Chicago takes ten hours more to get to Charleston SC than a Bus from London to Dublin - and the latter involves about two hours of ferry across the Irish Sea.

--
Mats
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Back, in the USA

Post by apistomaster »

HiMatsP,
You are well travelled in the US and realize it is a big country.But before addressing shipping cost, you must know that the US has a different approach to doing business than Great Britain. The USPS and all the well known named shippers have simply divided the country into 6 concentric regions to cover just the lower 48 states from the center of there distribution centers.It is this then multiplying the zone destinaton X price per delivered pound that is how and therefore why our country chose a different approach. It is so arbitrary at the actual zones'boarder line 2 people cold live1 mile apart but one will pay X% more than his buddy who is a neighbor.
It is a bad system for consumers but a great one for the shipping companies.
Larry
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
worldwide73
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Richmond, IN USA

Post by worldwide73 »

PM sent.. I have a few numbers available and I am close

Brantley
Joefish
My images: 2
Spotted: 1
Location 1: naperville. IL

Post by Joefish »

check out Jamie from http://www.exotic-cichlids.com he is in WI and always has Plecos he also has a shipment coming in next week and will update his site.
Eartheaters anyone?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”