Breeding L200

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Ian M
Location 1: Scotland

Breeding L200

Post by Ian M »

Hi

I have just purchased 2 L200 both are between 12 and 15 cm. I hope I have picked a pair and have an interest in breeding them. I see from searching in the forums that they were successfully breeding in Berlin zoo. I wondered if any other forum members had experiences of breeding these lovely fish. My tank parameters match those of the Berlin zoo tank except my volume is less. Thanks in advance

Ian
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Aside from the post noting the breeding at Berlin Zoo, I've only heard of one other breeding report (and I'm not 100% sure if that's the same species, as there's a bit of confusion on L200/L128 and the relationship between species and L-numbers... Scientists don't use L-numbers as you may be aware, and when there's a scientific description of a new species, it doesn't say "This fish is L200" in the description - rather, we aquarists have to rely on location information and similarly in looks - but when it comes to L200/L128, it turns out that there are probably at least three different species, L128, L200 "Low fin" and L200 "High fin").

But someone in Norway bred one or another of the (at least) three variants. Details were sketchy...

I would think that a meaty diet, "rainy season" water conditions (soft and cool-ish) and lots of water movement in the tank would be a good starting point for a breeding project. Not much else to advice, really...

Good luck with your breeding ... And keep notes: That way, if you succeed, you may be able to tell others what you did and didn't do to make them breed...

--
Mats
Ian M
Location 1: Scotland

Post by Ian M »

Thanks for the reply. Both fish appear to be well and are feeding well. I have noticed one has changed colour since introducing it. Both were identical when I introduced them however the larger of the 2 appears to be darkening in colour. I will keep you updated if this colour change continues!

Ian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”