I want Synodontis multipunctatus Babies

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Derpeder
Location 1: Seattle, WA

I want Synodontis multipunctatus Babies

Post by Derpeder »

Has anyone had experience breeding Synodontis multipunctatus. I want to breed them they are the best.

I need to know where to start. What I can read. What host fish to use. Your stories. Anything would be AWESOME.

I don't want to do this seriously I would just love to try to have little baby Synodontis multipunctatus swimming around.

let me know
"Sometimes I fart." - J. Nickels
Fogelhund
Location 1: Binbrook, ON Canada

Post by Fogelhund »

Welcome to the forum Derpeder. Synodontis multipunctatus is a fairly easy to breed Syno. You'll want at least three to start with, one female, two males.

I usually keep them in groups of two or three females, and three males. I find that if I keep more than six, it starts to reduce the desire of the cichlids to spawn.

One key is that the Syno's need to be mature. This seems to take a little longer than cichlids, though we've only seen anecdotal evidence of this. Stories of fish needing to be two to four years old before showing signs of breeding.

As far as what to breed them with, well anything will work. The bigger the mouth, the better. I'm having decent success with some young Sci. fryeri, averaging about 15 freeswimming fish per mouthful. I've bred them with probably twenty different species. If I stripped after 3 days, I could probably get double or triple that, but I don't.

There isn't much cuter than baby catfish, so I highly recommend trying them. The other interesting note is that they remain viable, and live quite long. My oldest wild male was imported in 1981, and is still breeding.
Derpeder

Post by Derpeder »

Thats Awesome. I am excited and thanks I'm glad to be apart of the site.

Where is someplace that i can get catfish. I have 1 right now and I am not good enough friends with it yet to know if its a male or female........ :) JK

But really I don't know what sex it is. So it sounds like I should just try to get 3 more and go from there.

Where can I get them so they are more mature and know the sex?

My local LFS has them but I am not sure they are mature and I don't think they know if they are male or female.
Jackster
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: WI

Post by Jackster »

A friend of mine has had several spawns of Synodontis multipunctatus. We both had
several adults and I decided to sell mine to him and he put a total of 7 mature adults
in a 125 gallon aquarium. The key was to find a host cichlid. We had heard all kinds
of suggestions and couldn't seem to find what others had told us to use so we took a
shot in the dark. I found a large pair of Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (Taiwan Reefs)
that another person was selling and got them to my buddy and it wasn't long before
he saw a little Syno swimming around the tank. Now he is stripping the eggs and putting
them in an egg tumbler.

A 1" fry with some shellies.

Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" is the host fish.

If your interested in buying some just drop me an email or PM.
"The Jackster"
Need Bristlenose?
Derpeder

Post by Derpeder »

Sweet pics. Yeah that is exactly what I want to do. Is it best to have just a few (like a breeding pair) of c*****ds or is my 55 gallon tank with 11 of them ok. They breed like rabbits so the cats are not going to have any problems finding host fish that are horney.
redzebra24
Location 1: chicago

Post by redzebra24 »

i have been using A. calliptera like people said but i think my tank is too small
Fogelhund

Post by Fogelhund »

Derpeder wrote:Sweet pics. Yeah that is exactly what I want to do. Is it best to have just a few (like a breeding pair) of c*****ds or is my 55 gallon tank with 11 of them ok. They breed like rabbits so the cats are not going to have any problems finding host fish that are horney.
Mouthbrooding cichlids are not pairing fish. You'll want to have one male, and multiple females, really the more the better.

It has been my experience that 11 Syno's in a 55 gallon might be overcrowded, and may reduce or eliminate the cichlids spawning. Other's may have had different experiences.
Derpeder

Post by Derpeder »

I was saying I have 11 Cichlids, sorry I was not clear. I'm looking to get 4 or 5 syno's. But I was wondering if the syno's could spawn with 11 cichlids in the tank, or if that is too many cichlids and I should just have a breeding group.
Fogelhund

Post by Fogelhund »

11 cichlids should be fine, and won't affect the multi's desire to spawn.

Return to “African Catfishes”