London Fish Shops?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Reginator
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 1: Valencia, Spain
Location 2: Valencia, Spain

London Fish Shops?

Post by Reginator »

Hi there, the owners of my LFS here in Bilbao are going to London for their holidays and would really like to see a good example of a fish shop while there. Does anyone here know of a decent large shop either in London or reachable by tube? Preferably one that stocks unusual fish and amphibians as I'm after a Typhlonectes Natans or similar :D
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Wholesale Tropicals (despite the name, a shop for the public!) is supposed to be very good... Never been myself, but it's been recommended... Also highly rated by Practical Fishkeeping Magazine...

Wholesale Tropicals
220 Bethnal Green Road
Bethnal Green
London
United Kingdom
E2 0AA
Tel: 0207 739 5356
Fax: 0207 739 5356

--
Mats
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

I've been there lots of times. You take the Central Line to Bethnal Green station and walk east down Bethnal Green Road. About a ten minute walk through an interesting ethnic neighbourhood, and it's on the left.

It's not a huge shop, but it has a lot of unusual fish, including a huge Sorubimichthys planiceps. Also stocks quite a few turtles.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Reginator
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 1: Valencia, Spain
Location 2: Valencia, Spain

Post by Reginator »

And any chance of finding a Typhlonectes Natans there? None here in spain and I've heard they are turning up in the UK, I have a thing for amphibians almost as big as my thing for catfish :lol:
Chrysichthys

Post by Chrysichthys »

Reginator wrote:And any chance of finding a Typhlonectes Natans there?
I doubt it, but you could ring and ask; they might be able to order one for you, or recommend a shop in the London area which has that kind of thing.
(Daily Mash headline)
Fella
Location 1: UK

Post by Fella »

You're in luck, i did a london fish shop tour only this week.

Crews hill just outside london is well worth a visit, as it has "wildwoods" there, rated as the best fish store in the country. To see its current plec list click here - here.

ADC aquatics off great portland street is great too, suppliers to the BBC and the store featured in teh recent stingray short movie.

Also in crews hill, it;s worth checking out home marine, who regardless of what sorts of fiish you like are always impressive.

Wholesale tropicals is great, fantastic staff knowledge there. I didnt get a chance to go there this week but it's well worth the visit.

As for "Rubber eels" wharf aquatics in nottingham have them in at the moment, and I believe they're seasonal, so they may well be on stock lists.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeper.com

Check now for aquatic interviews (Including with planetcatfish's own Julian Dignall), forums, articles, live chat and more!
Chrysichthys

Post by Chrysichthys »

Fella wrote: ADC aquatics off great portland street
That's close to Oxford Circus tube station.
(Daily Mash headline)
Fella
Location 1: UK

Post by Fella »

Chrysichthys wrote:
Fella wrote: ADC aquatics off great portland street
That's close to Oxford Circus tube station.
The first time i went there I got off at Oxford Circus, second tiem i tried off great portland street. Neither way took very long to get there.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeper.com

Check now for aquatic interviews (Including with planetcatfish's own Julian Dignall), forums, articles, live chat and more!
bloozoo2
Location 1: London, UK

Post by bloozoo2 »

Reginator wrote:And any chance of finding a Typhlonectes Natans there?
I go there just about once a week!!
You could also get there from Liverpool Street Station - just catch but 8 or 388 right outside the main entrance (on Bishopsgate "street") and it's less than a 5 minute bus ride. Bus stop right in front of shop (cross over road).

I'm afraid I've never seen the above fish there, but there's a chance they could order in.

I've been to the ADC (Great Portland Street) and have been extremely disappointed. Mostly a bunch of really common fish. Though they also have a large range of cichlids (mostly Africans) downstairs as well as Marine. And an amazing showroom of tanks.

Return to “Speak Easy”