BLOG: International Fishroom Move

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

BLOG: International Fishroom Move

Post by Shane »

The movers will be here on the 12th and my fishroom (and entire house for that matter) will be moved from Mexico City to Pretoria. This will be my fourth international move with a fishroom, so I thought I would start a little blog to record the process.

Things actually started a few months ago as I began the process of getting ready. I slowly began passing fish on to others, consolidated, and broke down tanks as I emptied them out. Last month I had a business trip to Washington DC and placed several rarer fishes with Andrew Blumhagen of Scales in Maryland. These included what are probably the only two Hypostomus robiniiin captivity. They were collected by Kaare (Mallemalle) in Trinidad, taken to Norway, passed to me in Oslo, brought back by me to Mexico, and then flown to Andrew in Maryland. The plan is for them to someday end up with Jools in Scotland. That trip will be their third flight over the Atlantic. I suspect those two fish are better travelled than most people.

Today I hit the fishroom hard with the idea of getting all but one tank (a 40 gallon) broken down and cleaned out. The final 40 gallon will house the remaining fish and plants until I can take them to a local importer this coming week.

This is the state of the fishroom after about 8 solid work hours with no breaks. I also broke down and packed up the RO system and accessories.

[Image

Above is the main rack. It holds four 10 gallon tanks, one 15 gal and four 20 gallon "long" tanks. The six 10 gallon tanks will end up serving as "boxes" for most of the fishroom equipment. They will then be dropped into the two 40 gallon tanks, one 45, and one 55. The 45 and 55 (not pictured) each hold two 10 gallons and the two 40s can hold the remaining two 10s and 15 gallon.

Every filter, heater, light, piece of driftwood, etc has to be washed (without soap) before packing. If they are not the smell will cause you to fall over when the shipping crates are opened at the other end. The light bulbs all have to be removed and thrown out as the bulbs never ship well. Each tank also has to be carried to a sink and washed with clean water and a clean rag inside and out.

[Image

Above is the right side of the fishroom (the previous photo is the left side). The top 40 gallon hold the remaining fishes and some plants. The bottom 40 is full of driftwood. All driftwood should ideally be removed and washed several weeks before the move so it has time to dry. Remember you are paying for every pound shipped and a large soggy piece of driftwood can weigh several pounds. I also threw out a piece of driftwood that was starting to rot.

My biggest problem is getting rid of the gravel. I do not have a yard living in the city, so it has to go out with the garbage. The gravel from the fishroom filed about three 5 gallon buckets. I transferred it all to several small plastic shopping bags each with about 3-4 pounds of gravel. I then dump 4-5 bags daily (1 or 2 each time) in the building's community trash cans. If I dumped it all at once somebody would notice the weight! I feel like one of the prisoners in "The Shawshank Redemption" getting rid of the dirt just a little bit everyday.

The 45 and 55 are planted tanks and I figure it will take me my entire remianing month here to get all the gravel out.

My back is killing me after today so I am self treating with aspirin and cold beer.

-Shane
Last edited by Shane on 16 Jul 2006, 20:16, edited 7 times in total.
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

That's a big move, I hope everything goes smoothly for you, though it sounds like you have everything well under control. All the best!

btw I too have had to surreptitiously dump small bags of gravel in neighbour's rubish bins on collection night :)
ndoboi
Location 1: Australia

Post by ndoboi »

Doesnt sound like much fun at all Shane... I too have to move every couple of years with work, thankfully it's just interstate!
What have you got lined up in Pretoria??

Cheers
Steve
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Sadly, my intentions of blogging the move were dashed when Telmex cut of my internet connectivity a month before I left.
All went well though and the tanks should be somewhere on the high seas at this time.

Here is a 20 long being preped for packing. The tank has already been washed and dryed and is packed with bubble wrapped nets, filters, heaters, etc. This saves a lot of fish as basically the entire fishroom fits in the tanks at moving time.

The tank is then protected by thick, soft plastic

Then thick paper

Two 20 long tanks all wrapped up and awaiting their cartes

Each tank is then packed in its crate

Extra padding is added inside the crate

The crate is then nailed shut (be careful!)

Here is the fishroom. All bundled up and ready to be loaded for the move

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
redzebra24
Location 1: chicago

Post by redzebra24 »

wow that is one move. i have to move soon but it is only 3 houses down :) where are u moving?
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I think if you read the very beginning, he tells you. :wink:

You've got this down to a science. (Shawshank Redemption is one of those movies I can watch over and over again.) So many different species await you where you're going, Shane! All I can think of is those marvelous photos Greggo posted a little while ago. Save travels. :D
Amanda

Return to “Speak Easy”