breeding L114s

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
du ma
Location 1: southern calif

breeding L114s

Post by du ma »

has anyone here bred L114s? please share your experiences if you have bred them. my friend bought a group of 10 about three years ago and now they are around 6-7 inches. We want to try and start breeding them but we dont know if they are mature enough.

here is one of them
the spots are not as fine as the adult pictures from the Cat-eLog. a sub adult??

does it look mature enough to began conditioning and stimulations?? i read ingo seidel's article but it didnt mention much.

please give me some feedbacks.

thanks
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Yes these have been bred before, one account in Germany for sure!!
Here is an article in German
http://www.datz.de/GHIZ2DH6oAX6aEIZ2DHA ... 2D48A9B8DD

Otherwise there is some information (also in German) in the Wels Atlas #2 ... see thread in Taxonomy section for info on how to order it!

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

In case you can't read German here is a link translated in English.

Click Here
du ma

Post by du ma »

Thanks for the article guys.

No one here has personal experience with these?
du ma

Post by du ma »

Just to let you guys know, my friends L114's finally spawned this afternoon. I saw them earlier and the clutch is HUGE!!! At least 50-70 eggs!! The eggs are dark yellow and are about the size of the H. Zebra's.

They spawned after he threw the caves in the tank about a month ago. I gave him my digi cam, I'll post some pics if he gets some good pictures out of it.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Awesome! We'd love more information on this one! Water parameters, spawning triggers, diet and what not. Please tell him Congratulations for me!

Barbie
du ma

Post by du ma »

Here are the pictures...

They spawned in a 60 gallon community tank thats placed in a high trafic area with a gang of other fishes(2 discus, a 7" goldy, 5-6 rainbows, 2-3 angels, 5-6 5" clown loaches, and a few other smaller plecos). The tank sounds overstocked but its literally filled with driftwoods so theres plenty of hiding spaces for everyone.

The tank is filtered by an aquaclear 500, penguin...(dont know the model # but its the highest model), and a wet dry filter with a 200gal capacity.

Theres only 7 adults in the group(lost two and one was given to me). They ate day and night and were fed mainly on cooked shrimp(without the shell).

A foot long sailfin was removed and they spawned two weeks after a water change with from the tap. The spawn was totally unintentional and whats surprising is that the tds is at 1400 when they spawned. And I dont know if the eggs are good for this batch, some are already starting to turn white.
laurab5
Location 1: kANSAS

Post by laurab5 »

That is awesome. Congrats on that spawn, and i am sure your friend will have one in the future. I can't wait to see what babies look like. Way to go
bedwetter
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Missoula
Location 2: Montana

Post by bedwetter »

Wow, thats really awsome. Quick question though - TDS=1400??!! Is that a typo? I thought my water was hard with a tds of 350!

Congrats again!

Jeff
du ma

Post by du ma »

No typo here...My friend was busy with school and not home most of the time. His little brother only filled the tank with water when the water level is low and the minerals have been building up for a while. After the quarter was over, he started doing weekly water changes. That might of triggered the spawn.

Checked the eggs this morning and a lot of the eggs seemed fine but we checked again tonight and the male ate the eggs already.

We are going to remove all other fishes in the tank and try breeding them again with ro water changes.
Joefish
My images: 2
Spotted: 1
Location 1: naperville. IL

Post by Joefish »

Why switch to RO ? you already have something good going, why change it? they are already adapted to your water perimeters. you could be just screwing up a good thing.

i just got 2 massive sized caves in for my 12" monsters so well see how it go's :D

sorry to hear he ate the eggs, but if there new to this it may take them a few times to get it right, not to mention they may of not even be good eggs.
Eartheaters anyone?
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

The RO water changes are usually used to simulate the rainy season and stimulate subsequent spawns. The fact that they've spawned at all is a very good sign. The eggs could just have been infertile because it was a first spawn, like with some Hypancistrus. Softer water couldn't hurt though, IMO. Good luck with it! Keep us updated!

You've now officially convinced me to work with mine. I'm in the process of trading a girlfriend for her female that's full of eggs to try with my male that's been holding a cave against all comers for months ;).

Barbie
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

I have no succees yet with Pseudacanthicus species but if they comes from very soft and acid water (like L114) and act similar to these Ancistrus species I have breed from that kind of water, it's absolutely not wrong to use RO water.
What happens with my Ancistrus species when they breed in to hard water was that they didnt take care of the eggs, the eggs also get easy infected. The same with some Peckoltia species from same kind of water but in their case the male ate the eggs and in a few cases kicked it out of the cave. The same species works perfectly in soft (~150µS) water and there are not any problem with unfertile eggs, the batches hatches with almost 100% and the fry are easier to care for. With that I mean that some species will breed even in hard or very hard water but not succeed until they are giving more suitable conditions, to lower the hardnes can be the trick to succeed...1400 ppm TDS (2800µS) sounds very hard.

Janne
Joefish

Post by Joefish »

First off i never said there was anything wrong with using RO water, all i stated was why mess up a good thing before you jump the gun. its common sense not to fix something that isn't broke. :roll:

why not let them try I'm sure this is new to them, not all variants get it right the first time :D so nothing to lose :wink:
Eartheaters anyone?
du ma

Post by du ma »

Good luck with your lot Barbie, this shouldn't be too much of a task for you. I think what I have is a female, shes FAT!!! I need to find her a bachelor.

Joe, I think we're still going to use ro water to stimulate them. The L114s are black water fish. Its favorable to keep them in softer and more acidic water. The Ancistrus dolichopterus(another black water fish) for example, is prone to infertility when kept in hard water.
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

If the eggs had hatched, that would be success, since they didn't, changing something is in order Joe ;). Not everyone can just throw fish in a huge tank and have fry swim out a few weeks later! :lol:

Barbie
Joefish

Post by Joefish »

Where's all of the water parameters at now?

So are you planning on doing 100% RO water or 50/50?
Eartheaters anyone?
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

100% can kill the fish so go slowly first, if you really meant that he should change all the water at the same time to 0 ppm TDS.

Janne
Joefish

Post by Joefish »

Janne wrote:
100% can kill the fish so go slowly first, if you really meant that he should change all the water at the same time to 0 ppm TDS.

Janne
well ya that's a no brain-er :lol: and it was a question. not instructions :lol:
Eartheaters anyone?
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

well ya that's a no brain-er :lol: and it was a question. not instructions :lol:
Or a suggestion :wink:

I understand that you not really meant to change all the water against pure RO water, but there are many people that maybe not know how much damage it can do if used in the wrong way. Fishes can easily (or easier) control their osmotic pressure as long the TDS is increasing, but when the TDS is decreasing most fishes needs more time to adapt...if going to fast with to big changes they can be hurted or die.

Janne
Cattleya

Post by Cattleya »

Hi
30 degre Celsius
100 µS
and a a couple of L114 => 250 of
lg Udo
Edit:
Sat Jul 15, 2006
oops , 1 year to late

:oops:
Last edited by Cattleya on 16 Jul 2007, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
excuse my bad bad English

The Homepage for Pleco breeder ==>http://www.catfishbase.com/portal/
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Udo,

Congratulations on the spawn.

It seems like PlecoFanatics are using some "hotlink-prevention" (meaning that you can't link to the site from other sites).

To see the picture, click on this link:
http://www.plecofanatics.com/gallery/fi ... 14-Fry.jpg

You may have to "refresh", as the PlecoFanatics logo will be "cached" in your browser as the result for that link.

--
Mats
Cattleya

Post by Cattleya »

hi
It seems like PlecoFanatics are using some "hotlink-prevention" (meaning that you can't link to the site from other sites)
now its on my own URL
Thanks!

lg Udo
excuse my bad bad English

The Homepage for Pleco breeder ==>http://www.catfishbase.com/portal/

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”