Problems with Channel Catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
spiroh
Location 1: Chicago, IL USA

Problems with Channel Catfish

Post by spiroh »

I purchased 4 channel cats a few days ago. 3 days ago I noticed 2 of them had white spots on them which im assuming is ick. I'm on the 2nd day of medication so ar using half the recommended dosage since I've heard the catfish are sensitive. I also have african cichlids in the tank. Is there anything else I need to do to make sure they make it? I dont want them to die. The product I'm using is quick cure. On another note do any of u know where I can find baby channels in the chicagoland area?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Is there anything else I need to do to make sure they make it?
You might want to raise the temperature in the tank to the high 70s-low 80s.
RogerMcAllen
I've donated: $35.00!
Location 1: Champaign, IL, USA

Post by RogerMcAllen »

I'm in Flossmoor, where I-80 hits I-57, and you can usually find juvi channel cats in the local petcos. The LFS I use also has some as well as a decent variety of plecos and other cats. It's called Capital Pets in Country Club Hills.

Do you have a plan for them as they grow? I got a 6" channel cat a year ago in November, and I now have an 18" monster terrorizing my pond. Let me know if you know of anyone interested in said monster, I really need to find him a better home.
spiroh
Location 1: Chicago, IL USA

Post by spiroh »

Thanks for the info. I currenlty have the 4 channel cats in a 55 gallon tank. Hopefully they will make it through the ick problem. Heater is on its way so hopefully that will help the ick issue. I have no idea yet what I will do with the channels. I've been meaning to upgrade to a bigger aquarium so we'll see. Ur lucky to have a pond. I wish I had the room.
MIKE

Post by MIKE »

IT COULD BE ICK BUT FROM WHAT IVE HERD SHOULDNT PUT CHANNEL CATFISH WITH AFRICAN CICLIDS.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

MIKE wrote:IT COULD BE ICK BUT FROM WHAT IVE HERD SHOULDNT PUT CHANNEL CATFISH WITH AFRICAN CICLIDS.
Good advice. Try not to shout next time (using all capitals when writing is the same as talking very loud when).

Although, depending on how you look at it, it may be a good place for the Channel Cat - although it gets expensive after a while to put fresh cichlids in the tank...

--
Mats
CEfire
Location 1: Illinois
Interests: Synodontis, Disc golf, Fishing

Post by CEfire »

I hope that you understand that a tank upgrade will not even allow you to keep even one of these fish...have you looked at the Cat-eLog yet, these fish can grow almost 3 feet long. The CotM article mentions an 800 gallon tank! :shock:
Angelface23
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Ontario, Canada
Location 2: Ontario

Post by Angelface23 »

meh what's an 800 gallon tank really ;) hehe I have a 500 gal tank in my basement!! where there's a will there's a way :D

good luck with the channel cats!
CatDaddy

Post by CatDaddy »

ive seen pictures of bad things when you mix african chichlids and channel cats

Return to “Other Catfishes”