Clarias batrachus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
FrankieWilde
Location 1: Netherlands

Clarias batrachus

Post by FrankieWilde »

I already have a topic about my 65 gallon tank. Just want to know if somebody with experience can tell me if I can keep one in my tank.
Ibiza is . . .
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

that should be possible; a pair (if they're not agressive to each other) as well, but then there's little room for something else.

make sure it's not a gariepinus though :lol:
Valar Morghulis
FrankieWilde

Post by FrankieWilde »

Ghehehe, well I hope I can find them in holland. It will be a species only tank.
Ibiza is . . .
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Be careful when buying baby Clarias over here.

the safest bet is to buy 'pie-bald Clarias' as these are 100% guaranteed C batrachus.

they can be bought for 'a nickle and a dime' at Marktplaats.nl as many people 'dump' their outgrown pie-bald Clarias on this market-website when they find out their lively orange-spotted catfish eats all the guppies and tetra's.....

'wildcolor' Clarias in the stores are rare and IF you find them they can be baby C gariepinus wich are suited for the BBQ but with an adult size of 4 feet UNsuitable for the home-tank.

I've seen heteropneustes fossilis sold as 'Clarias' in LFs here too; these also stay reasonably sized and they're social enough to be kept in a group. you might check out this species as it DOES turn up in our LFS now and then; IMO it's a lot prettier than a Pie-bald fish, but that's just personal taste.

Taking care of Heteropneustes or Clarias is similar, except you'd best avoid getting stung by Heteropneustes.
Valar Morghulis
FrankieWilde

Post by FrankieWilde »

Thanks very much for the tip! heteropneustes species is a bit tacky with it's poison glands. I saw a clarias at marktplaats but it was already big, I would like to start with a juvenile.
Ibiza is . . .

Return to “Asian Catfishes”