Syn. Ornatipinnis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
ggdhazel
Location 1: Ft. Wayne, IN
Interests: Aquariums, Gardening, herps

Syn. Ornatipinnis

Post by ggdhazel »

Does anybody ever see these guys around? While working for the fish Dept at a pet store I came across some listed for $10 bucks wholesale; I was a little skeptical since I had seen them listed on an internet page at one time for $75. I went ahead and ordered 6 of em but they turned out to be a variant of Syn. congicus. I'm not ready to get any right now but I was just curious on how difficult it is to get them.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

They are fairly rare as synos go. Sometimes, the somewhat similar (and much cheaper) <i>S. brichardi</i> is sold as <i>S. ornatipinnis</i>.
I have seen even <i>S. decorus</i> sold as <i>S. ornatipinnis</i>. You sure those are <i>S. congicus</i> and not <i>S. decorus</i> you have? The real <i>S. congicus</i> looks a lot more like <i>S. nummifer</i>.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

S. ornatipinnis comes from around Mbandaka, the capital of Equateur province and a port on the Congo river a couple of days by barge upriver from Kinshasa. Due to the continuing civil war in the Congo, Mbandaka is periodically inaccessible.

Some hormone bred S. ornatipinnis do appear in LFS at quite reasonable prices, but generally, the fish is either seldom available and very expensive when available, or is some other species sold as S. ornatipinnis.

Dinyar
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

As I've said in an earlier posting, my ornatipinnis turned out to be an angelicus with squiggles rather than spots.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

But that should be dead easy to see; because ornatipinnis, like many spotted syno's, has darker spots on a lighter background; whereas angelicus is the only syno AFAIK wich has lighter spots on a darker background.....
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
ggdhazel

Post by ggdhazel »

Yep they were Syn. congicus "Varient 1"; that is if the Aqualog African Catfish Collection is correct. Its on page 58 lower left. I found a site where a lady supposedly had tank raised ones http://www.blackwater.50megs.com/ornat.htm
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The fish in the Aqualog Photoaltlas identified as <i>S. congicus</i> and <i>S. congicus</i> Variant I are not <i>S. congicus</i>. Variant I differs from the true <i>S. congicus</i> in having a different color pattern (<i>S. congicus</i> has a pattern like <i>S. notatus</i> or <i>S. nummifer</i>) and a triangular humeral process (<i>S. congicus</i> has a rounded one).
It looks a lot more similar to <i>S. decorus</i> (sans the dorsal fin filament) and is either that or a closely related (undescribed?) species.
ggdhazel

Post by ggdhazel »

I checked out Syn. Nummifer on this website. Much better pictures than the Aqualog atlas had of Nummifer. Yep thats what they were, I took them back to my store 6 weeks after. They were cool fish and did really well. I was just kinda upset that they were shipped as ornatipinnis.
oneoddfish
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: detroit,michigan
Interests: large cats-odd balls-I also breed alot of different african cichlid. but my favorite thing is collecting RARE or very hard to obtain fish...

syno

Post by oneoddfish »

where are you from usa uk germany china????
what's the matter?---cat got you'r tongue.

Jerry L Brown

Return to “African Catfishes”