Gold nugget feeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
redzebra24
Location 1: chicago

Gold nugget feeding

Post by redzebra24 »

I have a L177 i think gold nugget. I was wondering what i should feed it. would alage waffers be good?
LimaShovel
Location 1: New Caney Texas
Interests: FISH

Post by LimaShovel »

try a piece of cucumber or zuchinni something like that.
FuglyDragon
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:17, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:8)
Location 1: New Zealand
Location 2: New Zealand
Interests: Plecos !

Post by FuglyDragon »

Mine also eats mussles, prawns, frozen bloodworms and shrimps (and the leaves of my Amazon Sword plants till he was shifted) he readilly eats Courgette (zuchinni) especially the skin
Check out my pages on plecos in New Zealand http://mikesaquatics.co.nz
kev
Location 1: Lancashire
Interests: Catfish and Stingray's

Post by kev »

yes they will eat algae wafers,

Kev
Put me dinner in the oven, im off to the Xingu!!!.
saraya
Location 1: UK

Post by saraya »

Mine also seems to like beef heart, squash and potato. :)
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I wouldn't recommend beef-heart, but that's just because I feel that beef is rarely found floating in the rivers of Brazil (there may be the odd corpse now and again, but for the average fish, this would be a minuscule part of the food-intake for a year).

Fruit and veg is fine, they apparently (according to Ingo Seidel as per other posts in this forum) have quite a long digestive tract, which indicates a more herbivorous than carnivorous feeding habits in nature. Bloodworms are appreciated by mine, but that's not the same thing as "They should be fed bloodworms" - my son who's two years old LOVES chips (french fries/pommes frites for the non-british readers) - but that's by no means an indication of "good food" for a small child, right?

So, small meaty portions now and again (and algae wafers will count towards the "meat"), with plenty of vegetable literally "available at all times".

--
Mats
Zebrapl3co
Location 1: Toronto, ON

Post by Zebrapl3co »

I notice that mine likes to graze on the tank glass for algae and recently I saw it grazing on my piece of driftwood exactly the way my clown pleco are grazing on the wood. This leads me to wonder if it eats wood as part of it's diet as well.
Does anybody have this expereince with their gold nugget as well?
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Zebrapl3co wrote:I notice that mine likes to graze on the tank glass for algae and recently I saw it grazing on my piece of driftwood exactly the way my clown pl*co are grazing on the wood. This leads me to wonder if it eats wood as part of it's diet as well.
Does anybody have this expereince with their gold nugget as well?
Mine certainly hangs (and eats) on the wood - but they don't have chisels for teeth so I expect it's just doing the same thing as when it's on the glass - catching stuff that grows on the glass/wood... Some loose bits of wood may of course be scraped off and eaten - I'd not bet against that even if the odds given where very good...

--
Mats
funkyj1313
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Reno, NV

Post by funkyj1313 »

I agree with matsp about too much protein in their diet.
Judazzz
My images: 23
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Groningen, The Netherlands
Interests: Loricarids/Piranha's, Photography, Webdesign, Travelling, Electric Guitar, Webdesign, Beer...

Post by Judazzz »

MatsP wrote:I wouldn't recommend beef-heart, but that's just because I feel that beef is rarely found floating in the rivers of Brazil (there may be the odd corpse now and again, but for the average fish, this would be a minuscule part of the food-intake for a year).
I agree with that: the Nuggets I had loved meaty foods (although they rarely got any), but I don't think it's that good for them. Nuggets are primarily Aufwuchs-eaters and herbivores, so I don't think feeding loads of meaty foods can be good for them (their intestines aren't designed to process large amounts of it).
redzebra24
Location 1: chicago

Post by redzebra24 »

just like mubna love srimp but it is horrilbe for them because of hi protein
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

redzebra24 wrote:just like mubna love srimp but it is horrilbe for them because of hi protein
Yupp, that would be the same type of problem.

--
Mats
Judazzz
My images: 23
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Groningen, The Netherlands
Interests: Loricarids/Piranha's, Photography, Webdesign, Travelling, Electric Guitar, Webdesign, Beer...

Post by Judazzz »

redzebra24 wrote:just like mubna love srimp but it is horrilbe for them because of hi protein
Indeed!
Or the best analogy I've read so far (thanks to Shane): It's like kids - they'd eat candy, burgers and fries every day if they could. But because they would doesn't mean they should.
saraya
Location 1: UK

Post by saraya »

Thanks for the info. I will cut back on the meaty stuff.

I hope I haven't done him any long lasting damage. :(

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”