How to feed L114 without the cichlids snatching the food?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mlok2000
Location 1: Glasgow, Scotland

How to feed L114 without the cichlids snatching the food?

Post by mlok2000 »

Hi there,

I recently got an L114, I place cockles and prawns into the cave it lives in. My problem is that some of my cichlids are small/determined enough to get it. should I try larger pieces of fish, scallops etc. that the pleco can graze on? Are there carnivorous wafers that the cichlids wouldnt take? Yes, the cichlids will be remaining in the tank.

Thank you
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Most cicklids sleep at night (when lights go out), so if you feed at that time, they will not get the food from the pleco. Once the pleco is established, it should also be able to "hold its own" against other fish, but if it's shy it may not.

--
Mats
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

The cichlids probably wouldn't be able to eat algae wafers, which are intended for plecos to graze on. Your LFS should have them. Also you can try sliced cucumber or courgette (zucchini) weighed down with something.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
mlok2000
Location 1: Glasgow, Scotland

Post by mlok2000 »

The cihlids don't sleep too much, any whiff of food and they charge about like mad.

I know about feeding veggie plecs, I was looking for meaty ways to outsmart the Cichlids.

Currently wedging fresh fish into small holes in the cave - Seems to work (I think). Any one got any other suggestions?

Cheers
Iporangensis Headach
Location 1: Manchester England
Interests: Keeping My Fish Happy

Post by Iporangensis Headach »

I have a 6" Earth Eater and he used to get very territorial but lately he has calmed down but if another fish swims in his territory (not this has stopped as I re-arrange every 2 weeks as I get board very quickly) he would peck at them until they went away,

So I thought I would do an experiment :twisted: with my L001-L022 so I waited until he dug out a territory and then I dropped a slice of cucumber right in the middle of it, soon the Pleco came out and started to feed,

The cichlid came out and had a few pecks, the Pleco ignored it and then the EE had a right go at the pleco until the Pleco (spotty) hit the side of it and pushed it all the way down the tank 4ft and smashed it into the glass :shock: and then calmly swam back and continued to feed, the EE sulked for about 3 hours and then has never gone near spottys food ever again!
--------------------
48"x12"x15" Tank
1x Iporangensis Earth Eater Cichlid 7.5"
1x SailFin Plec L022 8"
1x Leapard Pleco 6"
2x Tiger Clown Plecos 1"
1x Bosemani Rainbows 1"
3x Congo Tertras 3"
4x Clown loach's 4"
3x Snowflake loach 3"s
3x Spotted Catfish
jimmyB
Location 1: Illinois, USA!!
Interests: BN ancistrus, saltwater reef, Afr. cichlids.

Post by jimmyB »

I drop some pellets in the back of the tank after I have put the flake on the top of the water and the fish are busy. Also, I have a stiff plastic tube, about 1/2" diameter, that I use to drop pellets into, they slide right down the tube into the cave or hiding space where the catfish spend their time. I do this at night when the lights have been turned off, just some subtle room lighting. The tube usually scares the fish away so they don't see or care what is sliding down the tube.
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

I have a long piece of gray 1/2" pvc in the back corner of my tank that is elevated off the bottom about a 1" or so. I put my pellets down this at night. The cichlids don't see it fall so they really don't even know that there is food and this allows my cats the food they need.
Candice
Location 1: Vancouver, B.C. Canada

Post by Candice »

I agree with the night feeding. Some of my plecos live with very large (7-9 inch plus blood parrots)and to make sure they get enough, I feed when the lights go out at night. Not just the tank lights, but when I am actually going to bed and the house lights are out.
-C
sharn
Location 1: Te Puke, NZ
Interests: fish, metal and body modification

Post by sharn »

i also agree with night feeding. i have an oscar who makes sure nothing goes into the tank without passing him and his teeth first :lol: he wont eat the veggies but will still pull them off their rock so they float again. i turn the room and tank lights out, wait about ten minutes then drop the food in, it seems that if i drop it in straight after lights out the O is still a bit too alert.
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

PlecoCrazy wrote:I have a long piece of gray 1/2" pvc in the back corner of my tank that is elevated off the bottom about a 1" or so. I put my pellets down this at night. The c*****ds don't see it fall so they really don't even know that there is food and this allows my cats the food they need.
ahh the simple ideas are often the best, that is a great idea PlecoCrazy! :D

I will try that tactic to get pellets past my ravenous Chaleus to the Brochis below!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”