id help with Colombian Loricariid

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
anubiasdesign
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Bensalem, PA

id help with Colombian Loricariid

Post by anubiasdesign »

Hello Everyone,
I received these from Colombia this week as Lamontichthys 'Rio Magdalena.' I've never seen this species before and can't identify it by comparing to the Cat-elog photos. I appreciate your thoughts on what they are. This is the first time I've posted here, so I hope I do the pics correctly.
Thank you,
Mark

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/anubia ... w/f65f?b=1
[/img]http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/anubia ... =4&m=s&o=0
Image[/url]
Anubias Design
"where rare species are common"
bedwetter
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Missoula
Location 2: Montana

Post by bedwetter »

Mark, I wasn't able to see your pics. Only the first link worked, but it required logging in.
For the other two, you have to change the code. For each, you have to put the url between [img]url[/img].

I won't be able to help ID your fish, but I look forward to seeing the pics - Lamonichthys are so cool :D

jeff
anubiasdesign
Location 1: Bensalem, PA

Colombian Loricariid

Post by anubiasdesign »

Well, obviously that didn't work so I loaded the pics onto Photobucket and will try this again.
Thanks,
Mark

Image[/img]
Anubias Design
"where rare species are common"
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

I beleive you are looking at a (The link didn't work, but check the Cat-ELog.)
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

I would say those fish are Sturisomatichthys, not Lamontichthys.

Possibly two different spp.
Al
Location 1: Israel
Interests: Pleco and Cory breeding

Post by Al »

Alex
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

In the forth pic, I think I can see the odontodes on the posterior lateral plates associated with Sturisomatichthys sp. "Colombia II"

Wels Atlas 2, page 546.
HaakonH
My articles: 2
My images: 373
My catfish: 1
Spotted: 228
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Location 2: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Fish fish fish!

Post by HaakonH »

Picture 4 shows a very nice reddish colouring on this specimen. I have seen this in Farlowella too, but apparently they loose this reddish hue after living in captivity for a while. Does anybody know what this actually is, could it possibly have to do with a certain food source they have in their natural habitat but lack in the aquarium?
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

I have no experience with these catfish, but the general rule is that if you want a fish which is red or yellow in nature, but fades in captivity, to remain red, you feed it astaxanthin-enriched food.
That would imply that the fish eats large amounts of either single-celled algae or small crustaceans in nature, I do not know if this is a realistic assumption for these catfish.
skh
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Berlin, Germany
Location 2: Berlin, Germany
Interests: catfish, characins, dwarf cichlids, fish physiology and ecophysiology, respiratory and circulatory adaptations

Post by skh »

Hi Mark,

I think it is Sturisomatichthys sp. "Columbia" or "Kolumbien" as Hans and Ingo called them. I received 7 specimens more than ten years ago (1994?) when I moved to Berlin and I am currently breeding them in the 3rd generation. The colour patterns from the first offspring turned out to be very variable ranging from almost yellow without any dark patterns (like in the old book "Handbuch der Welskunde" from Franke) to almost black. The wild-caught grew to more than 16cm within three years and the last wild-caught died about two years ago. The F1 and F2 never grew larger than about 12cm in my tanks. Some friends of mine reported a maxim length of 10cm. How long is your fish?

They are easy to breed with breeding success being around 100% fertilized eggs (numbers ranging from 80 to 130 eggs). The larvae, however, are relatively difficult to raise. I had the best success raising them together with your Otocinclus but never more than 30% grew up.

all the best with your new fish - they are great.

cheers

Stefan
MIKE

Post by MIKE »

it looks like a whip tail catfish

Return to “What is my catfish?”