Notes on the Brachyplatystoma and some other pims

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Waldo
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Spokane, WA. 99206
Interests: I like fish and fish related excessories

Notes on the Brachyplatystoma and some other pims

Post by Waldo »

I've noticed that the cats with the similar body structure lyre tail, flat nose and spread whiskers seem to need a low protien diet. Those we have fed a lot and higher protiens got impacted EXTREMELY fast and died soon after. while being hardy in all sorts of extreme parameters one thing remained a constant when the fish died. Over feeding high protiens. So far our few frozen bloodworms once a week diet has worked for Brachyplatystoma flavicans, Brachyplatystoma juruense, Merodontotus tigrinus, and Goslinea playtema. Just a note. I know some of them are monsters but for those that want to keep them keep them well :D
I support Water Mart!!! You should too!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

It's more likely the frequency than the amount of protein in the diet, since these fish are largely piscivorous. These fish probably take infrequent, large meals in the wild.
Waldo

Post by Waldo »

So your saying high ammounts of protien are eaten and then fasting occurs? Do you have any idea of what time frame. I just watch there bellies and it's about once a week they look hungry to me.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

It all depends on size. I would expect very large individuals to be able to last a month, maybe more, without food.
TiGrInUs
Location 1: USA

Post by TiGrInUs »

I agree over feeding is definatly a problem when it comes to the brachyplatystomas. I feed mine raw market shrimp every other day and im sure i could feed less than this. So far I have raised two tigrinus up to 13"+(one 13" and the other 18") successfully...ive also kept many juruense- one up too 16", before it suffocated on a suction cup. And flavicans just grow slow as ever. I have ordered goslinia many of times but they never make it too my house!!! :(

Your 4 cats just happen to be my four favorites. Very nice collection man...if you have any pictures could you please post them or messege them too me??? You are lucky to be keeping these...i am jelous. :D

By the way if you didnt already know...M. tigrinus has been changed to Brachyplatystoma tigrinum. Unless it was changed back? M. tigrinus sounds cooler anyways. :lol:
Black Ghost
Location 1: Québec

Post by Black Ghost »

So what is your proposition of feeding on a week or month?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Small fish - feed every other day. As they grow larger, reduce the feeding frequency, and when they are adult, you should probably only feed every other week or less often. Obviously, that means a GOOD feed when they get fed, rather than a nibble.

Make sure you have a filtration system that can cope with the enormous spike in ammonia that happens after the feeding though...

--
Mats
Waldo

Post by Waldo »

I'm wondering if there would be a difference between prepaired shrimp and live as far as how fast it passes.
grokefish
My images: 3
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

Would not once a month with a big feed is asking for trouble with amonia spikes. Bacteria need feeding also and leaving the filter ticking over on minimal amonia from respiration would surely starve the bacteria? I would say once a week medium feeding would be more apropriate. I have found Juruense will only go on the hunt when they are seriously hungry so I use it as a guage for feeding. They don't seem to learn to connect human interaction with feeding as much as for example red tails.
Waldo

Post by Waldo »

I beleive cats in general are not aware of being full or hungry. Or I have just not seen it. The amount that a cat would put on a filtrations system would be minimul for it size if being fed. For example a goldfish unloads it's waste all at once in a long poop while our juruense are going to break down the high protien contents and pass it over an extended period of time.

I've noticed a lot more use of their streamy lyre's to find food and scent as a way of finding the general area as well.
yellowcat
I've donated: $105.00!
My images: 74
My cats species list: 38 (i:36, k:15)
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Los Angeles
Location 2: USA
Interests: auchenoglaninae, pimelodidae, pseudopimelodidae, doradidae

Post by yellowcat »

Perhaps I've been lucky? Having raised several pimelodid species including p. hemioliopteris, p. fasciatum, l. pictus, p. perunno, b. tigrinum and b. juruense, I always started them out on blackworms- feeding daily as juveniles, then guppies and after that feeder goldfish, as many as they want, a constant supply. All survived to around 18" until new homes were found. Still have the juruense, now 18" and the tigrinum now 13" and no feeding problems at all, they eat as much as they want. I could probably cut down on keeping the tank stocked with goldfish but in the same tank is a 14" p. fowleri and although they're not supposed to be a community fish, it has been for a year or two and as long as it's well fed, no worries....
Weekly water changes and replacing filter carbon an a regular basis has worked well for me, for what it's worth....
Africa: Claroteidae- P. monkei, 3-P. punctatus, A. occidentalis-Volta, 3-A. biscutatus, 2-N. macrostoma. Mocho.- syno. batensoda, 2-syno. pardalis. South America: Pimelodids-p. blochii, 2-platysilurus mucosus. Pseudopim's- 2-lophiosilurus alexandri, batrochoglanis cf. villosus. Doradidae-anadoras grypus, 2-rhinodoras dorbigny, 2-wertheimeria maculata
grokefish
My images: 3
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

How big is your megladoras? I've been told that they rarely grow over 14", adn after I bought a 1500l tank for mine!
yellowcat
I've donated: $105.00!
My images: 74
My cats species list: 38 (i:36, k:15)
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Los Angeles
Location 2: USA
Interests: auchenoglaninae, pimelodidae, pseudopimelodidae, doradidae

Post by yellowcat »

My megalodoris is a mere 3-4", acquired only a month ago. My supplier on the east coast, (East Coast Zoological Supply) imports Peruvian specimens to around 60cm. and larger, mentioning some coming in at 28" next week. I have seen photos of similar sized aquarium raised specimens as well so you're well equipped for one...
Africa: Claroteidae- P. monkei, 3-P. punctatus, A. occidentalis-Volta, 3-A. biscutatus, 2-N. macrostoma. Mocho.- syno. batensoda, 2-syno. pardalis. South America: Pimelodids-p. blochii, 2-platysilurus mucosus. Pseudopim's- 2-lophiosilurus alexandri, batrochoglanis cf. villosus. Doradidae-anadoras grypus, 2-rhinodoras dorbigny, 2-wertheimeria maculata

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”