Where to find large tanks?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
arc200uk
Location 1: United Kingdom

Where to find large tanks?

Post by arc200uk »

I've decided that my Rio 400 is too small and have been browsing the web for tanks larger than the Rio 400 and its proving really hard!

Does anybody know of a good place to buy large aquariums? or even have them custom made?

The most desirable tank i've found is the Rena Aqualife Classic 200 x 50 (201cm x 51cm x 70.5cm). It costs £1,589.90 including the stand!!! I can actually 'afford' that, but it seems way too much for what is effectively a few panels of glass and wood.

Im after something in the region of 7ft or possibly 8ft in length x 60-70cm in height x 51cm in width. Any suggestions?
CFC
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: London, England
Interests: Angling, cookery, predatory fish

Post by CFC »

Try here, excellent service and good build quality.

http://www.windsor-aquatics.co.uk/
if you believe in reincarnation pray you dont come back as a neon
arc200uk

re:

Post by arc200uk »

Thanks CFC, i've asked for a quotation on a 7ft and 8ft. Leaning towards 8ft now. :)

Does anybody else have other recommendations?
eupterus
Location 1: Essex uk
Interests: Livebearers, corys and L numbers

Post by eupterus »

The rena tank that you are sp[eaking of is currently £880 in most maidenhead aquatics and it comes with all lighting and filtration.
Eupterus.

C. hastatus - habrosus - pygmaeus - aeneus - duplicareus - axelrodi - panda - trilineatus - napoensis - delphax - melini - paleatus - barbatus - concolor - robinae -seussi - reynoldsi - septentrionalis - arcuatus - C57 "nordestini" - guapore - aeneus "black" - C131
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

Im after something in the region of 7ft or possibly 8ft in length x 60-70cm in height x 51cm in width. Any suggestions?
Try B.A.S. Bolton,e-mail: -
fish@bas.co.uk

or
Pier Aquatics, Wigan,
Tel: - 01942 236661
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
Owch
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Leigh, Lancashire, UK
Interests: Tropical freshwater - Plecs, Corys and Discus

Post by Owch »

Look on http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk under 'tanks & equipment' or 'retailers & services'.

Theres quite a few compaines on there advertising custom built tanks.

Tom
Be thankful for wooden floors!
Dorad
My articles: 12
My images: 69
Spotted: 50
Location 1: Southampton, Hampshire, England
Interests: Catfish of all sizes. My main interests are with South American species although I do have a number of African species including Synodontis

Large Aquariums

Post by Dorad »

In addition to the other companies mentioned I would thouroughly recommend my good friend Giles Barlow, who has built all of my fish house tanks to my sizes and criteria. Giles can be contacted at his shop on 01254 388815 (tell him that Chris mentioned his name to you)

Best of luck

Dorad

aka Chris Ralph :D
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
arc200uk

re:

Post by arc200uk »

You've all been really helpful and i've chased up a lot of the options, thankyou very much.

From the look of things, it seems as if the cabinet and hood are going to be the most expensive items to build. I'm quite close to finalising that side of things and i've had some welcome feedback. Tank to follow.:) (what am i doing????!)
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:4, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Re: Large Aquariums

Post by coelacanth »

Dorad wrote:In addition to the other companies mentioned I would thouroughly recommend my good friend Giles Barlow, who has built all of my fish house tanks to my sizes and criteria. Giles can be contacted at his shop on 01254 388815
I'll second this, Giles has built aquaria for friends of mine and they've all been satisfied with the product.
Pete
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: re:

Post by MatsP »

arc200uk wrote:You've all been really helpful and i've chased up a lot of the options, thankyou very much.

From the look of things, it seems as if the cabinet and hood are going to be the most expensive items to build. I'm quite close to finalising that side of things and i've had some welcome feedback. Tank to follow.:) (what am i doing????!)
Yes, it's correct that the cabinet can easily mount up to a fair bit more than the actual tank. The reason that isn't the case with for instance a Rio400 is that the Rio400 "tank price" also includes some of the other expensive bits: Hood, filter and heater, which all adds up to a neat sum.

One idea may of course be to solve the "stand" yourself. The classic method from when I was a kid was to get some nice bricks or breeze-blocks and stack them up to make "the right" height. Then place a piece of plywood on top and tank on that. Jools has some similar concept using 5 stacks of breeze-blocks cememted together, I think. Of course, it doesn't look quite as classy as a solid wood cabinet, but it's a few hundred less expensive too... ;-)

I built a stand for my tank in Sweden several years ago from 3"x2" pieces of wood and marine ply, stained and varnished with boat-varnish. Materials would cost much less than a prefessional made one, but it's also a bit plainer...

For a BIG tank like 7-8 foot, you'd probably want some 4"x2" timber, but you should be able to get enough for the project for around 30-50 quid. Add two sheets of ply and perhaps some doors from the kitchen-side of a DIY shop, and you've got most of what you need. Two sheets of ply is probably around 50 quid, doors range from a dozen to MANY quid, depending on style and material. Stain/varnish, some fixings and other odd bits would probably set you back another 20 quid. But around 100-150 quid and a few hours of DIY should be sufficient...

--
Mats
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

I'm after something in the region of 7ft or possibly 8ft in length x 60-70cm in height x 51cm in width.
That holds roughly 840l or water and all up will be close to a tonne with gravel etc. added. If you are making the stand yourself or getting a cabinet maker to do so, be sure to allow for 1.5t total weight.

fwiw I've just started making plans for a 6' x 28" x 3' wide tank (28" being the maximum dimension that will fit though the front door! :)) and I'll have to make the stand so that it can be assembled on site. The legs will most likely be 4'x4' with 2'x4' battons and rails. I'll post up something in a few months when it starts to take shape.
MIKE

Post by MIKE »

you could try petsmart
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

MIKE wrote:you could try petsmart
Are you referring to the big chain in the US? If so, wouldn't shipping/overweight&oversize luggage costs be somewhat prohibitive, considering the original poster lives in the UK?

By the way, you may want to add where you're from in "Location" on your profile [in the menu at the right top corner of the browser window].

--
Mats

Return to “Tank Talk”