Hello from a new member

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
rochdale_iron
Location 1: Manchester

Hello from a new member

Post by rochdale_iron »

Hello to you all.

I have 5 corys, ( 2 Albino, 2 Panda, 1 Gold stripe ) amonst other community fish, and i am interested in getting a hypancistrus zebra. Any information you could give me about them would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

Col
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Welcome to Planet Catfish.

Getting hold of H. zebra is non-trivial at the moment, since they are banned from fishing in Brazil where they are native [with the exception of fish caught for research purposes].

So any fish for sale will be one of:
1. Captive bred specimens.
2. Old stock that was caught about two years ago - either that has been in stock for some time or that are "returns" to the shop.
3. Fish that has been caught and exported under the terms that they are for research purposes and then sold to fish-shops.

The prices for these fish is pretty high whichever of the three options made them available to the market - expect something like £150-200 per fish if they aren't tiny babies.

The problem with captive breeding is that they are fairly slow to breed - it takes about three years to grow to mature size, and once they spawn, they have something like 10-20 eggs, which takes another year before they reach a size of around 1" when they can possibly be sold. And from what I understand, it's rare to get more than two spawns in a year.

Good luck in finding some.

--
Mats
rochdale_iron
Location 1: Manchester

Post by rochdale_iron »

Thank you for your information Mats,
shame the price is so high, looks like i might have to wait for a lottery win to try to get one.

Col

Return to “Speak Easy”